Walker'd

This area is for topics not covered in other areas...you know, general topics.

Moderators: tony-kun, Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Walker'd

Postby Niehaus on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Separate from election thread... go!

A letter that could mean something to UW-P students. The budget bill proposed by Walker has provisions in it which could stand to break UW-Madison from the rest of the UW system. This means decreased funding for non-Madison schools.

Thankfully, I received word that I have been accepted at UW-Madison for the fall semester of 2011, so I'm not that concerned for myself. This'll probably suck for Platteville, though. Then again, Platteville was the only UW school to vote Republican in the last election, so maybe the cronyism that is in Walker's idea to leave the fire department and police unions untouched will carry over.
Wii number: 5677-8567-1883-5440
Niehaus
SPAMM President Fall 2006-Spring 2009

Re: Walker'd

Postby telsaan on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 am

Mr. Walker has been making me sad lately. I miss Mr. Feingold. Things just don't make sense right now. :( Thanks for posting this.
PlatteCon OMEGA --> March 4-6, 2011
Chimera Hobby Shop ChAdam GamesAnime Fan Zone
telsaan

Postby Megaton on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 am

Megaton wrote:At the rate things are going in this state, we might be experiencing the same stuff...

I am not surprised about university student walkouts and whatnot but high schools and lower?

I'm amazed at the mass angst he is generating...
Megaton
SPAMM Forum Champion

Postby Valkyrie Guard on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 am

Years of high spending have led to this. Do say that you didn't see it coming.
"RED, WHITE, RED UNTIL WE'RE DEAD!"
"Long live our holy Germany!"
Valkyrie Guard
Otaku no Kami

Location: You know that closet you never go in. Yea.... it's called the eagle's nest now.

Postby Zaku on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:32 am

:mrgreen:
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Niehaus on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 am

I didn't see Wisconsin effectively ending collective bargaining for all state employees who didn't back the new governor, no. I also didn't see Wisconsin deciding to cripple its education system.

Serious question, Steve. What do you believe should be done with state taxes in response to the deficit? Please actually answer this. I am curious if you still hold that the best thing to do is to give out tax breaks that will only be noticed by people in my family's tax bracket.

If you have a chance, please also respond to my question in the It's a Magical World thread.

@Zaku: Why does this please you? I could understand if you saw this as a necessary evil, but I somehow don't gather that impression.
Niehaus

Postby Epros on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 am

@ Zaku: I regret that, if this goes through, there will not be a readily accessible online database of children of teachers who die from what would have been otherwise preventable causes if/when they lose their health insurance. Your happiness at this sickens me. Pro-life my ass.

Fucking seriously. If you care so much about giving fetuses more rights than the women who carry them, then how about you actually start caring about what happens to them as soon as they're out of the womb? (Edit: Aw, Niehaus, you made my anger there look irrational. XD)

And about this whole UW-Madison being removed from the system... god, what the hell. I was actually looking into their MSW program that they offer at both Madison and Eau Claire campuses, and I wonder what this proposed change means for that, now.
Epros
Junior Otaku

Postby Niehaus on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:29 am

I know a guy who is in that program. He calls the Help Desk I work at constantly to have us "assist" (AKA: run) his online business. The classes are actually run through UW-Madison and he has an account with UW-EC so he can take some of the classes closer to his home, but it's a UW-Madison degree in the end. You should still be able to apply for the program, though you might want to verify things before taking the final step.
Niehaus

Postby chronomeister on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:53 am

Epros you obviously don't understand the order of importance of people in the US. First senior citizens, then children (aka < 18), then special interest groups, then businesses (yes businesses are people), then everybody else. And since fetuses fall into the children category (-x < 18) and a requirement to be a senior citizen is to not to be able to get pregnant, fetuses are more important than the women who carry them.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Epros on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:09 am

http://thirdcoastdigest.com/2011/02/wal ... s-funding/

Oh yeah, children are so important, right? :P
Epros
Junior Otaku

Postby Valkyrie Guard on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:47 am

Taxes have to stay where they are at now. Some cuts (spending) have to happen. In the future I would like to see tax cuts on businesses. You see tax cuts on businesses as tax cuts for the rich unfortunately. Always your argument.
Valkyrie Guard
Otaku no Kami

Location: You know that closet you never go in. Yea.... it's called the eagle's nest now.

Postby Valkyrie Guard on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 am

Epros wrote:http://thirdcoastdigest.com/2011/02/walker-to-propose-1-billion-cut-to-education-mps-would-lose-up-to-25-of-its-funding/

Oh yeah, children are so important, right? :P

MPS so incompetent and wasteful. Worst school district in Wisconsin. If they stopped their waste, I bet they could make up 110% of their funding lose.
Valkyrie Guard
Otaku no Kami

Postby Niehaus on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 am

Valkyrie Guard wrote:Taxes have to stay where they are at now. Some cuts (spending) have to happen. In the future I would like to see tax cuts on businesses. You see tax cuts on businesses as tax cuts for the rich unfortunately. Always your argument.

Wisconsin state tax levels are already fairly low. Since the Bush tax cuts have stupidly continued, federal taxes are also low. Wisconsin 2011 state income tax rate, as well as the federal rates. We already have tax cuts in the system, so keeping taxes as they are right now and doing more cuts LATER is absurd. You're essentially saying that the Bush tax cuts weren't enough. :megaton:

Know why I see tax cuts on businesses as tax cuts for the rich? Because my family owns a small business and we are rich. Not super rich, but we fall well within the top 2% of Americans and do not really consider ourselves to belong to the middle class. Not just my immediate family, but my extended family pulls in 6-7 figure annual incomes for the most part as well. I will one day be affected by the estate tax that the republicans have been working so hard to nix. I realize that there are some businesses where the owners are struggling to get by, but Republican pro-business policies typically invest in large businesses rather than in local supermarkets that are struggling to stay afloat. Trickle down economics is a joke that the cult of Reagan has somehow managed to keep the poor believing as the gap between rich and poor in this country continues to widen. If people really gave a shit about fixing the economic situation, they would cut programs and raise taxes. Cutting programs and keeping taxes low/giving tax cuts doesn't do shit for repairing a state or nation's budget. Also, Walker isn't just cutting programs here. He's ending collective bargaining so that the unions won't be able to respond to further cuts. You don't need to kill unions in order to balance the budget.

Assuming this passes, I expect a legal challenge to follow.
Niehaus

Postby tony-kun on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Anticipated Budget Cuts Devasting for Wisconsin K-12 Education
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

10% pay cuts for average teacher, further 10% reduction in state funding to education. Walker is also looking to reduce the amount of money that schools can get from property taxes.

Expect teacher layoffs and removal of art, music, physical education, AP classes, etc.

Even the young students here in Madison seem to get it. When I was at the protests yesterday I saw a lot of high school students marching with signs. Looks like Madison elementary and high schools will be closed for the third consecutive day on Friday.
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Postby tony-kun on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Classes are disrupted here at UW-Madison too. We had a student walk-out at 10AM. I'm wondering whether I need to cancel my class tomorrow.
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Next

Return to General Discussion Area