What do you want from Spamm?

This area is for topics not covered in other areas...you know, general topics.

Moderators: tony-kun, Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Re: What do you want from Spamm?

Postby dyre on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 pm

chronomeister wrote:Yeah but Survivor was so years ago. We need something more relevant. Game of Thrones?

That's a great idea. Game of Thrones is certainly one of my favorite competitive game shows on TV today.
WARNING: blah blah blah sarcasm blah blaghh balls

FALCOOONN PUUNNCCCHHHHH!! -- Falcon Puunch!! x2

Support LISP Ban COBOL Love JAVA Also, Love FLEX... Also, Fuck FLEX.. Also, Fuck Java. Fuck client requests
dyre
Alumnus

Postby chronomeister on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Cool, sounds like you know way more about the show than I do. I had no idea what genre it was but now I know. Don't know why people think a game show is all the rage these days.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby jman on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 pm

I blame the 90's era of TV.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Those who create idiot-proof products severely underestimate the ingenuity of idiots. -Douglas Adams

Steam: jman183
jman
Junior Otaku

Postby grimsleeper on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 pm

dyre wrote:
chronomeister wrote:Yeah but Survivor was so years ago. We need something more relevant. Game of Thrones?

That's a great idea. Game of Thrones is certainly one of my favorite competitive game shows on TV today.

Game of waifu.
"In theory there are no differences between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

grimsleeper
SPAMM President Fall 2009-Spring 2010

Postby QazYseult on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

^ I think you could actualyl adapt the 'Game of Life' into a waifu based anime game to play before SPAMM. You have all summer. Get on it!
"Violation of physics? I'll violate you!" - Xygord
QazYseult
Ex-Librarian

Postby Niehaus on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Speaking from experience you will want to innovate, innovate, and innovate. The club needs things to spur involvement. Simply doing whatever your predecessor was doing isn't enough. A new fandub would certainly do a good job of that. Crystania was an ambitious project, but we were able to do it before most of the voice actors graduated. Intimidation over AV can be easily solved, as someone will simply need to learn AV. Zach passively taught himself how to do all of the stuff that was required for Crystania in a year or so.

Back in the long long ago, SPAMM was more like a fraternity than a regular club. You need to foster involvement at the meetings, as well as outside of them. Video game tourneys are always good for involving the casuals, but you'll also need to do other activities - and actively encourage freshmen and casual members to attend. Cookouts, trips, video game nights in town, going to movie premiers as a club, that sort of stuff. Start out strong at the beginning of year cookout and encourage existing members to show up and reach out to the new freshmen, rather than to just hang out and make inside jokes the whole time.

During my presidency (and for a bit afterwards) I sent out personalized letters to each incoming freshman. Snail mail has an impact, especially in the ever-electronic society we live in. Engage them online as well, of course, but never underestimate the power of a physical letter in the mail. I've got a copy of the old welcome letter here. Plagiarize and modify to your heart's content.

For involvement outside meetings, both with current members and alumni, SPAMM has a Steam group. You've got a gold mine of untapped gaming camaraderie there.
Niehaus
SPAMM President Fall 2006-Spring 2009

Postby tony-kun on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19 pm

dyre wrote:

In the game of thrones, you win, or you die.
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Postby Oci on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 am

The AV can't be all that hard. I imagine sound editing could be easily done outside of video editors and then the final sound file could just be fed as is into a video editor to cut half the trouble.

And as for the freshman letters, I'm on the case! I write good, as was elaborated in my SPAMMpaign.
Oci
SPAMM Publicity Chair

Postby QazYseult on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Bwa ha ha!
I'm sorry... every time you reference 'AV' my brain instantly reads it as 'Adult Video' instead of 'Audio Video'.

By all means... 'AV' can't be that hard... snicker...
"Violation of physics? I'll violate you!" - Xygord
QazYseult
Ex-Librarian

Postby Zaku on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:25 pm

I used to work with Final Cut in high school. I dunno if I can get access to it on campus, though.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Zake on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Oci wrote:The AV can't be all that hard. I imagine sound editing could be easily done outside of video editors and then the final sound file could just be fed as is into a video editor to cut half the trouble.

Timing a large volume of sound clips without a timeline editor that contains a consistent, reliable reference video? That's hilarious. Good luck with that.

Seriously, though: Even if you don't use its video-editing capability, you are still going to need something like Adobe Premiere to make a movie re-dub project feasible. Without it (and the instant feedback it provides on tiny adjustments in audio file timings, volumes, post-processing effects filters, etc.), you'll find that the process is extremely painful and cumbersome. Never mind the interface -- the shear size of the work files will have you spending almost all of your time waiting for your editor software to encode and save your work between changes.
Haiku, On Defeat:
Vanquished, my team lacked
Unity, teleporters;
Blame my ISP

"Cubic Time" - Cubes

[img]http://www.anime-planet.com/users/images/signatures/Zake.jpg[/mg]
This count is very out of date. Should probably update my profile...
Zake
Ex-Vice President / Richard Hawk

Postby chronomeister on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Dude, I have Windows Movie Maker; I got this.

Good thing I'm not doing it. I would be an asshole and use AvsPmod so no one would even dare to think about helping me and there be so many MixAudio MergeChannels DelayAudio it wouldn't be funny. On the plus side overhead would be pretty small.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Previous

Return to General Discussion Area