What do you want from Spamm?

This area is for topics not covered in other areas...you know, general topics.

Moderators: tony-kun, Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Re: What do you want from Spamm?

Postby Zake on Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Zaku wrote:To be fair, the trend of "people not giving a shit" exists in many other clubs on campus. I've seen it first hand.

Being the status quo does not make it acceptable. Personally, I want you guys to do something awesome.
Haiku, On Defeat:
Vanquished, my team lacked
Unity, teleporters;
Blame my ISP

"Cubic Time" - Cubes

[img]http://www.anime-planet.com/users/images/signatures/Zake.jpg[/mg]
This count is very out of date. Should probably update my profile...
Zake
Ex-Vice President / Richard Hawk

Postby Zake on Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Huh... Odin: Photon Sailor Starlight has potential...

Though, if you really want to do this right, the people writing the script have to NEVER look up a plot summary or watch the movie with any of its original audio tracks.

For the fandub of Legend of Crystania, none of the people involved in the production had ever seen the movie with English voices or subtitles, or read a plot summary. The only reason we knew the names of Pirotess and Ashram was because they were recurring characters from the Record of Lodoss War series. We knew the name of Crystania because it was the title of the damned movie.
Haiku, On Defeat:
Unity, teleporters;
Blame my ISP

"Cubic Time" - Cubes

Zake

Postby Oci on Wed May 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Well, if it's just inserting sound into a clip running at regular speed, it could probably be easily done with Audacity and some random other video editing program.

As for what to use, I imagine good material for this would have a lot of different settings/places in it with a plethora of characters. More characters can mean a) involvement of more members and/or b) making the involved voice overs stretch their voicing limits to ridiculous proportions just to make two characters sound different or ironically the same. Many settings makes for more material to bash at; in a setting with space alone or on a desert world (Trigun, Ozma), I find it difficult to really say anything interesting or funny about the stars or the sand more than ~4 times before choking the subject--unless acting as a certified dip or being asinine while addressing a certified dip.

This can't be solidified right now, of course--we've barely started Summer session--but hopefully something can be found and a plan made which can hold water.
Oci
SPAMM Publicity Chair

Postby Zake on Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Having never seen Odin: Photon Sailor Starlight, I wouldn't know for sure whether it really is good material for a parody fandub. Legend of Crystania worked well because of its generic fantasy setting and enormous cast of characters. Furthermore, the visuals were hilariously bad at times, which helped.
Haiku, On Defeat:
Unity, teleporters;
Blame my ISP

"Cubic Time" - Cubes

Zake

Postby Beaver Chief on Thu May 30, 2013 2:55 am

A desert or space setting would only be difficult if there's only one person. How often does something set in the desert actually reference the fact that they're in a desert? Create scenarios, discussions, anything
Jesus will thank you
IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES
Beaver Chief
Pimp Hand

Postby chronomeister on Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 am

Fandub: Gundou Musashi.

Too much/difficult: Jokesubs Gundou Musashi.

Still too much: Pick 2-5 episodes (they don't even have to be sequential) and make a mini series fandub.

This club is a bunch of pussies: Same as above jokesubs

TL;DR: Gundou Musashi

/thread
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby dyre on Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 am

Zake wrote:If I am not mistaken, I believe that Dyre chose the movie based off of a rating from AnimeNfo or some similar site. He simply looked for an anime full-length film that was considered to be horrendously lackluster. Please correct me, if I am wrong, Dyre or Tony.

I had this movie in mind for a while before the project. I was a huge Lodoss War fan, and started watching all the "extended" universe stuff. The art style and animation was so goofy at times, it was hard not to laugh. And then when we all watched it for the "first" time, it felt perfect. :)
WARNING: blah blah blah sarcasm blah blaghh balls

FALCOOONN PUUNNCCCHHHHH!! -- Falcon Puunch!! x2

Support LISP Ban COBOL Love JAVA Also, Love FLEX... Also, Fuck FLEX.. Also, Fuck Java. Fuck client requests
dyre
Alumnus

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 am

Zake wrote:Concerning your last two paragraphs: My last comments were never about who is better -- the old members or the new ones. It was about the fact that SPAMM, as it was/is, does not have a whole lot to offer to the new predominantly casual audience. Something has to change, or you will see a continued trend of people not giving a shit. I am merely making a (strong) suggestion as to how you might improve club morale. Sure, I described an old member vs a new one, but I did not imply that this difference was due in any part to the quality of those people. Like I said, it is a sign of the times. Things are different, now, and SPAMM needs to adapt or face obsolescence. That's just how it is.

I agree with you that SPAMM does need to change in order to involve its new audience, which is different than before but not any better and not any worse than its "old" audience. Campuses have a 4-year memory, and a club that is not athletic or a frat/sorority should be honored that it is continuing past when the original founders started the club since it's so easy for everything to fall apart once they leave. I know my college gaming group up in Superior that I helped to start probably wouldn't be recognizable from when I was helping to run it, but it's still there, and that's what makes me proud.

I want to help SPAMM change to meet what its new members want, but a lot of people seem resistant to change, and that's where the trick lies: balancing tradition and blending it with the new.

Not to mention that in any club, you're going to have only about 1/3 of the people who will care enough to get involved in how it will run. This is something my adviser for Pagans of Platteville told me, and I can see it in other organizations as well.

I wasn't talking to specifically to one person about new vs. old, I was trying for general statements. Not all alumni are bad or cling steadfastly to tradition. Not all new members refuse to use the forum. I was just pointing out trends.
HyruleanCookieZelda

Postby QazYseult on Thu May 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Just bring back the SPAMM survivor stuff and the game tourneys before the anime showing. That'll get people mingling.

Also, I had seen Crystania before taking my role as Xygord.
"Violation of physics? I'll violate you!" - Xygord
QazYseult
Ex-Librarian

Postby Bootkiller on Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Well, we have had game touneys the last three years I've been here, but sometimes we've been in a bit of a bind to find enough suitable games. It's usually been fine, though. I also have a few ideas for games this coming year, especially the trollier games.

Also, SPAMM survivor?

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby Beaver Chief on Fri May 31, 2013 12:30 am

SPAMM Survivor was basically like the show Survivor. A group of members would compete every week, and one would be eliminated until there was a winner, who got a bunch of prizes
Jesus will thank you
IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES
Beaver Chief
Pimp Hand

Postby jman on Fri May 31, 2013 4:56 am

A video game tourney of Divekick.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Those who create idiot-proof products severely underestimate the ingenuity of idiots. -Douglas Adams

Steam: jman183
jman
Junior Otaku

Postby dyre on Fri May 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Bootkiller wrote:Also, SPAMM survivor?

go back about 8 and 9 years in the Club & Forum Affairs section of the forum to read the weekly results of SPAMM Survivor 1 and 2.
WARNING: blah blah blah sarcasm blah blaghh balls

FALCOOONN PUUNNCCCHHHHH!! -- Falcon Puunch!! x2

Support LISP Ban COBOL Love JAVA Also, Love FLEX... Also, Fuck FLEX.. Also, Fuck Java. Fuck client requests
dyre
Alumnus

Postby chronomeister on Fri May 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Yeah but Survivor was so years ago. We need something more relevant. Game of Thrones?
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Valkyrie Guard on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:38 am

I have to say Spamm survivor was some of the best nights of my life.
"RED, WHITE, RED UNTIL WE'RE DEAD!"
"Long live our holy Germany!"
Valkyrie Guard
Otaku no Kami

Location: You know that closet you never go in. Yea.... it's called the eagle's nest now.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Area