Showa to Terru!

Are you bored and wondering what SPAMM can do to keep you busy? (or) Do you have an event or get-together that you would like to share with SPAMM.org? Check out the Events forum which contains information on all sorts of SPAMM (and other) events in the Platteville Area.

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Showa to Terru!

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:47 am

For those of you who want to sign up to talk about your favorite anime OR manga, do so here! We want folks to sign up so we don't get doubles/hentai/have an idea of how many people want to share.

Rules:
1) Sign up on this thread by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, the night of SPAMM meetings.

2) We'll approve just about anything as long as it's not hentai. (If you don't know what hentai is, ask Boots).

3) You have 5 minutes MAX. We'll give you 2-minute, 1-minute, and 30 second warnings if necessary.

4) You can show a video, make a powerpoint, or just talk about a favorite series. Post your video on this thread so it's easy to access.

5) If you've gone once, you cannot share the next week. We want everyone to have a chance and want to hear from different people. If no one else is signed up, then you can go.

6) We'll let people share during social hour (when there's not a videogame tournament) and break. When you sign up, tell us when you'd like to present if it matters and we'll see what we can do. If there are a lot of people, you might have to go another time.

Please be understanding as we work out the details of how this is going to work. This is a BRAND NEW idea this year. This rules may be changed or some might be added.
HyruleanCookieZelda
Ex-Vice President / Richard Hawk

Re: Showa to Terru!

Postby jman on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:32 am

You're being too generous on the restrictions.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Those who create idiot-proof products severely underestimate the ingenuity of idiots. -Douglas Adams

Steam: jman183
jman
Junior Otaku

Postby qPenguin on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:50 am

I vote for new name: Hoseki jikan (gem time (since we should share hidden gems we find))

Also I must share with you all the wonder that is MAWARU PENGUINDRUM!

A show that has a lot of subtle symbolism and a cast of unique characters that are all interconnnected.
Kan, Sho, and Himari must struggle to change their ill fate with the help of 3 penguins that no one else can see.

Also SEIZAN SENRYAKYU!!! (Survival Strategy!)
Also the penguins say "kyu!"

Not sure what to think of the dub though...
Last edited by qPenguin on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm just playing the character where I don't know what I'm doing until I do it."
qPenguin
SPAMM Librarian Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 pm

qPenguin wrote:I vote for new name: Hoseki jikan (gem time (since we should share hidden gems we find)

I like it!
HyruleanCookieZelda
Ex-Vice President / Richard Hawk

Postby Sequence on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Agreed! That's a much, much better name.
Sequence

Postby Bootkiller on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:16 am

I also like this name better.

On a side note, I'm going to have to think for a while for what I would like to bring to something like this, as most things that I've seen that I want to show people were already suggested for screening. Heck, some of those (like Heroman) made it on the schedule.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby Oci on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Name's good, should probably abbreviate and like "Ho-Jik" so it's not a mouthful all the time.
Oci
SPAMM Publicity Chair

Postby Malarky on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm

I really wish I would have thought of this. This is an interesting idea and I could see a lot of potential for more anime discussion.

Looking back through some of the things I've seen, I think I will start with one I probably wouldn't have given much of a chance to if not for SPAMM. I would like to do Macross Frontier for my first try at this.

Relevant Information:
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/macross-frontier
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=8586

2<3... But who doesn't?
Malarky
SPAMM President Fall 2010-Spring 2013

Postby chronomeister on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 pm

I would totally do Aquarion Evol.

All I'd do say "Here's Aquarion Evol", show a video of the two Fudo donut zen monologues, then maybe a slideshow of all the special attacks, and finally walk off without saying anything more.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:34 am

chronomeister wrote:I would totally do Aquarion Evol.

All I'd do say "Here's Aquarion Evol", show a video of the two Fudo donut zen monologues, then maybe a slideshow of all the special attacks, and finally walk off without saying anything more.

Maybe I'll do it, EVOL was great. Slideshow would have to be accompanied by the OP, of course.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Bootkiller on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:55 am

Do anime that haven't aired yet count?

'Cause Kill La Kill, the new show from Studio Trigger (makers of Little Witch Academia and Inferno Cop) that's coming out this fall season looks amazing.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby chronomeister on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:35 pm

How could it be your favourite anime if it hasn't aired yet? Does it have your highest recommendation? Then again I'm not in charge so I don't have the final interpretation of the rules.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby chronomeister on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Zaku wrote:Maybe I'll do it, EVOL was great.

Zaku and I agree a show is good. Thread over. Let's just end it here.

Took a break from saimoe to make this. Pretty much anything Fudo says is solid gold.

EDIT: Funimation doesn't like promotional material on Youtube that it doesn't make. I'm cool with that. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/478 ... donuts.mp4

If Youtube takes it down for whatever reason here's the AviSynth script for it. Don't know why I had to do the delay audio but that's just how it turned out. Coulda maybe tried Youtube's editor but this feels more comfortable and I don't know how it would treat the subs.
Code: Select all
donut2 = DirectShowSource("D:\Anime\Complete\Aquarion EVOL\[gg]_Aquarion_EVOL_-_20_[063B43C6].mkv")
donut1 = DirectShowSource("D:\Anime\Complete\Aquarion EVOL\[gg]_Aquarion_EVOL_-_09v2_[769253E1].mkv")
return Dissolve(Trim(donut1, 12675,13875), DelayAudio(FadeOut(Trim(donut2, 16680,18260),20), 6/23.976), 50, 23.976)
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Bootkiller on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Aw, poor dead vid. I'm sorry for your loss.

The interpretation I had from this was that it wasn't necessarily your #1 favorite anime that you could talk about, so much as any anime that you like and would like more people to know about.

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby chronomeister on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm

I am wa sad. Oh well, in a way this is a plus as now I know I have something that won't make it past their filter as is and can investigate what they use to find this kind of stuff. I've been wanting to know what kind of indicators they use to find similar content and now I can start tweaking luma, chroma, brightness etc. Another project for another day.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Next

Return to Events