New Watanabe/Kanno Jazz-themed Anime

If you've heard about a new anime series, or just want to talk about an old one, this is the place to do it!

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Re: New Watanabe/Kanno Jazz-themed Anime

Postby chronomeister on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Or wait a week for an even lesser quality stream.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby dyre on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:13 pm

I just watched the first episode and I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely not in the same vein as Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, but it felt rather solid with plenty of depth to explore in the future. It felt nice... something that can slowly build over the course of an entire show, rather than shoving way too much information out of the gate, or have some immediate hook that compulsively makes you to return.

If you're into slice-of-life or school dramas, I think it's definitely worth a watch.
WARNING: blah blah blah sarcasm blah blaghh balls

FALCOOONN PUUNNCCCHHHHH!! -- Falcon Puunch!! x2

Support LISP Ban COBOL Love JAVA Also, Love FLEX... Also, Fuck FLEX.. Also, Fuck Java. Fuck client requests
dyre
Alumnus

Postby dyre on Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 am

Man, I really really like this show.

I watched the first 4 episodes this weekend with my good friend and SPAMM alum, Five. And we had a couple interesting thoughts cross our mind about the show.

Something that had caught my attention early on about this show was it's location of Kyushu. Nagasaki is in Kyushu, and anyone who studies abroad in Japan from UW-P will go there. I like it when shows actually take place in places I'm familiar with because it gives me a greater connection to the show. There's a greater understanding of the world around the characters, and I can identify with them more.

In the most recent episode, the characters perform live Jazz in a Jazz bar near an American Naval base, and there's only one American Naval base I known of in Kyushu, Sasebo. Okinawa is probably the most widely known one. Even though Okinawa is technically in Kyushu, I don't think the Japanese would consider it culturally part of Kyushu. It just so happens that the Sasebo High School and Sasebo Tourist Center have credits in the show for Location Cooperation, so I think that confirms that this takes place in Sasebo. SPAMM has a friend living in Sasebo and working on that Naval base, too, by the way, who studied abroad to Platteville, WI in 2002.

Another fun fact that Five made mention of was the use of Kyushu dialect throughout the series. I mean, the characters are from Kyushu, it makes sense that they would talk like they were from Kyushu. Almost all of TV in Japan is created and broadcasted from Tokyo, so almost all of TV conforms to the Tokyo dialect. The use of Kyushu dialect in Apollon is sparse and rather limited but definitely apparent for those who can tell the difference. It's not as strong as you would hear in person, which is probably because it would turn off the rest of the country.

Anywho, this is all recycled thoughts from something I wrote on my blog.
http://www.theschlock.com/blog/?p=1098
WARNING: blah blah blah sarcasm blah blaghh balls

FALCOOONN PUUNNCCCHHHHH!! -- Falcon Puunch!! x2

Support LISP Ban COBOL Love JAVA Also, Love FLEX... Also, Fuck FLEX.. Also, Fuck Java. Fuck client requests
dyre
Alumnus

Postby Zaku on Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Even if you're not into slice of life school dramas, it's just an engaging and well-written story. There's plenty of interesting characters that you want to know more about, and it sucks when the episode ends because you don't get to spend any more time with them until next week.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Previous

Return to Anime & Manga