Anime Kickstarter projects

If you've heard about a new anime series, or just want to talk about an old one, this is the place to do it!

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Anime Kickstarter projects

Postby tony-kun on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, Kemonozume, Noiseman Sound Insect, Kaiba) has put up a Kickstarter for his new short film anime project, "Kick-Heart". It is being produced by Production-IG.

Kick-Heart is a love story between Romeo, a successful pro-wrestler, and Juliet, a nun who lives a secret double-life as a female pro-wrestler. Romeo's secret is that he enjoys taking a beating in the ring, while Juliet feels invigorated when facing her opponents as a wrestler. When the two meet in the ring, the fireworks fly. Their story is set in the colorful backdrop of the professional wrestling world. Will Juliet reveal her true identity to the one she loves? Will Romeo be able to share his secret to the world?

The idea to use Kickstarter comes from the fact that it is difficult to get funding for anime that is not shonen or moe in today's anime market.

During the mid 80’s and 90’s Japanese animation directors, such as Mamoru Oshii, pioneered a new era of animation. Their films inspired animation fans around the world, including many well known Hollywood film directors.

Recently in Japan, its been very difficult for the next generation of innovators to create more artistically driven projects-- mainly because of the economic situation in Japan. Most of the focus has been put on creating projects that carry less risk-- such as remakes of older animation projects or well-known established properties.

It's quite interesting to see that they are seeking funding from a Western audience. If the project is successful one can imagine that it might trigger other anime companies to try similar things to fund projects, particularly focusing on titles that have been popular among fans in the west. However, I'm not sure if this is the best anime project to meet with success. The funding threshold is $150K, but the run-time of the short is only 10 minutes. Compared to all the gaming Kickstarters out there, that's certainly a lot less entertainment time for your money. Yuasa is also not exactly a very mainstream director. Mind Game was pretty well received all around, but his other stuff is not all that well known. So there is probably also a chance that this KS will go down in flames and no anime creator will ever want to try it again.

It does make me wonder about what project might be really successful on Kickstarter. A Season 2 of Berserk probably would have been one of the easiest ones prior to the movies coming out.
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Re: Anime Kickstarter projects

Postby dirked on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:27 pm

I pledged $60 yesterday for the Blu-ray. $60 is a pittance for another Yuasa auteur work.
dirked
Super Awesome

Postby Zaku on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Link?
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby dirked on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 pm

dirked
Super Awesome

Postby Rinoa on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 am

The premise of this sounds amazing.
nyannyannyannyannyannyannyan
Rinoa
Kitties of the North Star

Postby dirked on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Looks like it will end up at about $200k.

dirked
Super Awesome

Postby dirked on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:11 pm

The project has surpassed its funding goal with five days remaining.
dirked
Super Awesome

Postby tony-kun on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 pm

After looking at the revised reward tiers, I'm surprised they were only able to get one person to pledge $10K for a trip to Tokyo and dinner with Mamoru Oshii.
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Postby dirked on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:11 pm

The funding ended yesterday. It ended up at $201,064 which is pretty close to my prediction of $200k. They passed $175k, so there will be an extra two minutes of animation.
dirked
Super Awesome

Postby dirked on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 pm

So my Blu-ray arrived a few weeks ago and I finally got around to watching it.

The film is okay, it kinda wanders around in narrative for ten minutes before ending. The premise isn't executed particularly well, and is disappointing in that respect. The short feels very rough around the edges, it is more like Kemonozume than Tatami Galaxy, which is another disappointment. Well, it isn't anywhere near something like La Maison en Petits Cubes.
dirked
Super Awesome

Return to Anime & Manga