This show Psycho Pass is not so bad

If you've heard about a new anime series, or just want to talk about an old one, this is the place to do it!

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

This show Psycho Pass is not so bad

Postby tony-kun on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 pm

(...so far)

For the first time in a while, I have started watching a new anime television programme, Psycho Pass. I am planning on watching it weekly to its conclusion, so hopefully it does not end up sucking. There are 3 episodes out so far, and it seems relatively competent. It's in everyone's favorite genre: Dystopian Police Sci-fi.

The plot of the show is pretty much Minority Report, except that instead of using psychics to predict crime, they use a computer model that is based on brain scans for emotional state, job competency, and other factors. These combine to form an individual's "Psycho Pass", which rates them on a scale from productive member of society to dangerous potential criminal. All-in-all, probably a slight improvement on the Minority Report premise. The twist is that the police themselves are made up of 'latent criminals' who were apprehended before committing their crimes, based on the idea that you have to be able to think like a criminal to catch a criminal (even though there doesn't seem to be much investigation required most of the time as criminals are detected by automated computer surveillance systems).

My impressions so far have generally been fairly positive. The show has a certain style about it, and is relatively mature as far as anime goes. There has been nothing that is excessively annoying, or silly, or weirdly sexualized so far. Aside from some occasional issues with character faces, the art is good, and so is the soundtrack. The only real complaint I have is that the main character is kind of bland.

Anyone else watching?
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Re: This show Psycho Pass is not so bad

Postby Zaku on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Nope.

Only show from the current season I'm watching is From the New World.

Maybe I'll pick it up, I think it's on Crunchyroll.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Beaver Chief on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 am

I've been DVRing the episodes, but haven't watched them yet. I still have to finish the last few shows from the noitamina block
Jesus will thank you
IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES IRISH SUNGLASSES
Beaver Chief
Pimp Hand

Postby chronomeister on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 am

Nope too busy watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Russians and other terrible shows, though I recently was thinking bout checking it out soon because of communism.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Takomaru on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:16 pm

sounds cool, also do they plan on redoing all of Jojo?

Also why did they decide to redo Cyborg 009?
"I need a vender!"
"Taste my Missile Punch!"
"It's never too late to start beefing-up your obituary" -The Most Interesting Man in the World: on Life
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms”
Takomaru
Prince of Dickery

Postby chronomeister on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:44 pm

They are doing just Phantom Blood which was the first arc, whereas the OVAs covered the third arc Stardust Crusaders.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby dirked on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Takomaru wrote:Also why did they decide to redo Cyborg 009?

They did that a decade ago. Or, are they making a new adaption?

Takomaru wrote:sounds cool, also do they plan on redoing all of Jojo?

The Jojo anime is scheduled for 26 episodes, so they will be adapting Part 1 and 2. They are unlikely to adapt more than that as the last Jojo animation was a movie version of Part 1 that was never released on home video.

The anime has problems. It has an cheap inbetween studio doing chief animation, a no name director, a no name character designer, and a tiny budget.

The problems are made up for with the 溢れる、黄金時代ジャンプの熱血。

:ultramegaton: :ultramegaton:
dirked
Super Awesome

Postby Takomaru on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

They are doing a new adaptation, by I.G.
"I need a vender!"
"Taste my Missile Punch!"
"It's never too late to start beefing-up your obituary" -The Most Interesting Man in the World: on Life
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms”
Takomaru
Prince of Dickery

Postby Zaku on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Takomaru wrote:They are doing a new adaptation, by I.G.

Headed by Kenji Kamiyama. I can't wait.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Bootkiller on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Well I've watched the first two episodes so far, and I like it. The concept is cool, although I agree that the main character's kinda bland. I noticed that one of the screenwriters was from Nitroplus, which immediately told me why Psycho-pass reminded me of their previous works.

I plan on continuing, and I think this is one of the better animes coming out right now. My personal favorite is still Ixion Saga DT, but that's more because of the brand of humor that I enjoy.

EDIT: Watching episode 3 at the moment, and I like the Johnny Mnemonic shout-out. Wasn't expecting that.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby dyre on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:53 pm

eh... after watching 4 episodes, this show really isn't gelling with me.
WARNING: blah blah blah sarcasm blah blaghh balls

FALCOOONN PUUNNCCCHHHHH!! -- Falcon Puunch!! x2

Support LISP Ban COBOL Love JAVA Also, Love FLEX... Also, Fuck FLEX.. Also, Fuck Java. Fuck client requests
dyre
Alumnus

Return to Anime & Manga