Niehaus Reviews More Random Anime: Major

If you've heard about a new anime series, or just want to talk about an old one, this is the place to do it!

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Niehaus Reviews More Random Anime: Major

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 am

Let's give this another shot.

I have selected Major as my anime to view this time around. It has less furries than my original endeavor and should hopefully have more plot. From what I've been able to tell, it has a few well-reviewed seasons by random internet websites. ALWAYS trustworthy.

The show started in the mid 00's and ran through to 2010. It follows a baseball pitcher and his son, I think. I'm not too sure which one is the main character right now. I'm also not going to check.

I'm not too familiar with Japanese baseball salaries, so I was somewhat confused by the shitty small apartment they live in. The baseball man has apparently been bumped down to the minors due to injury and is about to retire due to a second injury, when he meets another baseball man who tells him to start hitballing, rather than pitching.

I had some issues with how much this first episode focused on the child. I really don't want to have 80 something episodes of a child complaining about his dad not baseballing properly or something. The mother died of headaches before the show started and I was really hopefully that, when the child ran away from school during the episode, he would get hit by a truck or something and the rest of the show would be about his father overcoming the the tragic deaths of his family to win the pennant or something. Still room for the kid to die, I suppose.

The animation is actually kind of reminiscent of the mid to late 90's, which I like. The father, in particular, has that 'look' from that era. I haven't heard enough of the music to make a judgement on that yet. The background characters actually seem like they have some degree of personality.

Episode 1 Rating: C+

I originally rated it a C-, but I realized Dog Days had a D on my first viewing and I could not put this show so close to that.
Niehaus
SPAMM President Fall 2006-Spring 2009

Re: Niehaus Reviews More Random Anime: Major

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:43 am

Episode 2: Their Friendship

Fuck. This series is over 120 episodes long and the supposedly good seasons are the last two. We'll do this live. Only 39 hours until I hit them.

So the kid makes friends with a Megaton with glasses in this episode. At one point, the Megaton rolls a ball. The Megaton has a bitchy mom who doesn't like baseball, but we learn a valuable lesson about friendship and something by the end. Also, baseball man decides to start batting again after over 15 years of never doing so and for some reason his team is letting him do it because he was able to get a hit off of a pitcher who just threw a full game shutout the previous day. He would have been worn out and easy to hit off of, but they kept acting like the shutout would have somehow made him impervious to error. I don't get the creators of this show. They simultaneously understand and don't understand baseball.

Again, no music to go off of. Background characters were given more substance and it seems as though there may be a romance subplot with the kid's teacher trying to seduce his recently dead-wife'd father. The animation remains spot on.

Episode rating: C+
Niehaus

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 am

Episode 3: I hate you, daddy!

I still have no idea who the main character is, or if one even exists. Half the time in the episode is the kid and the other half is the father. It honestly seems like two different shows are running simultaneously.

The kid joined a Little League team, but his dad pulled him out because he didn't want him using real baseballs and hurting himself and the dad batted his first baseballman game.

This romance subplot is very concerning. The teacher is bathing the child, randomly showing up at his house, and taking him to baseball games saying that his father said it was okay. There are also frequent concerning shots of the kid's ass when he's pitching. The Megaton also had a creepy shot like this. They don't do it with the adults, ONLY the children. It has happened at least once an episode. The first time I thought they were just showing a pitching motion, but they keep zooming more and more in on the ass. It's really strange.

Episode rating: C
Niehaus

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 am

Episode 4: A birthday a day late

Finally, theme music! The opening theme shows the kid in little league clothes pitching against all sorts of dudes and girls. There might be a few years skipped somewhere to allow this, I'm not sure. If that happened, though, I don't know how they'd work the father's "I'm at the end of my career" angle.

The Blue Oceans (baseballman's team) lose out on the pennant race, despite baseballman getting a big hit in the last game. So ends their season. Immediately after their season ends, the Warriors (presumably an opposing team) announce they are getting the Detroit Jaguars star pitcher, JOE GIBSON, in a trade. The show does do credit to the sport by acknowledging that American baseball players are superior, which brings delicious tears to the eyes of the child. The child then pees himself a little. I'm really hoping that tragedy will strike soon and have the child be hit by an airplane. This show would be greatly improved by following the One Outs formula.

The show catches on to the creepy fucking teacher angle, too. The principal gets complaints about the teacher hanging out with the kid and his father on a date and going to their apartment frequently. The teacher responds by asking the baseballman to wait for the son to graduate and then she can see them both 'properly.' Maybe it's just really creepy subtitles, I don't know.

Episode rating: C

All-in-all, a decent enough series so far. There weren't any creepy ass shots this episode, but the child also didn't pitch, so that might have something to do with it. The teacher story is really strange and kind of unsettling.
Niehaus

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Episode 5: The man from the Majors

It's an Engrish explosion. Joe Gibson is playing for da money because he'd play for a team on Mars if it payed as well as Japanese baseball. He was one of the top contenders for the Cy Young Award. He is also 'huge' at over 6 feet tall and 230 lbs. This makes no sense.

So the apparent stoppage of the creepy teacher storyline was resolved by having this episode skip through 6 months to the kid's graduation, which means the father can now marry the teacher. A few days after the graduation, the teacher is hugging the kid, with both of them naked in the bathtub. That exact same night, the father proposes to her.

The game is actually pretty decent. They get some actual strategy in, but they go a little overboard on trying to create analysis. Baseballman hits a home run and then his teammates pull off two squeeze bunts and make the score 3-0. Then, JOE GIBSON throws a 99 mph fastball at the head of baseballman, breaking his helmet. The next episode is titled "Farewell..."

If they kill the father off, displeasure will be had. There are currently 2 shows going on here. One halfway decent show about a man digging himself from the depths of obscurity and an annoying one about a kindergarten kid who has strange camera ass shots.

Episode Rating: B-
Niehaus

Postby Megaton on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Wish you had done this for HnK back in the day. >:3
Megaton
SPAMM Forum Champion

Postby Rinoa on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 pm

This got me thinking... I've never watched all of HnK. Maybe we'll watch it together and I'll write first-impression reviews of the episodes...
nyannyannyannyannyannyannyan
Rinoa
Kitties of the North Star

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:25 pm

I would have been baffled about how an anime about a guy punching tanks could have gone over 100 episodes.

Episode 6, fuck episode 6. I'm going to review it and I'm going to tough it through this because seasons 5 and 6 are supposedly really good according to random people on the internet, but FUCK WHERE THIS SHOW IS GOING.

Update:

Episode 6: Farewell...

So baseballman gets up from being hit in the head and he's fine and everyone is happy, then he goes home and relaxes and fucking dies the next morning MEGATON'S BEARD style. Fucking hell. There were two shows going on, one okay and one bad. Now it's just the fucking bad one, and the kid wasn't even traumatized by it aside from when he realized that he had been talking to his father not realizing he was dead for 3 hours. Fuck this shit. God damn it.

Pedophile teacher hugged the boy after his dad died and that made the kid's uncle and aunt say 'oh, we'll leave him with her instead.' What the god damn fucking shit? I know anime isn't always logical, but this is beyond suspension of disbelief levels. Peoples' decisions make no fucking sense in this show.

JOE GIBSON does show back up after killing the father, which was cool. He walked into baseballman's hospital room, removed the cloth from his face, looked down at him, and said he was going to fix baseball in Japan. Hopefully the show will shift to focus on JOE GIBSON doing awesome things in engrish, because I don't really fancy 116 episodes of a little kid playing tee ball. The show did skip ahead 3 years in time with the teacher praying over the baseballman's grave for some reason. The kid is probably going to enter Little League now, I'm guessing.

Episode Rating: B

TERRIBLE implications for the rest of the series, but a decent episode in its own right.
Niehaus

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Episode 7: Goro Honda, Age 9

So the show is now about him building his Little League team. The evil soccer team kicked them off the field and the kid has to recruit 3 team members by the weekend, otherwise he'll have to travel to another town to go to Little League! WHAT A DISASTER! Fortunately, a stupid school drama love interest with the class representative means that the team has a token girl.

God damn it, such mild hopes. Totally dashed. Fucking Swagel show.

Episode Rating: D-
Niehaus

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Episode 8: Team Complete!

GEE, I WONDER WHAT FUCKING HAPPENS IN THIS EPISODE!

The kid and the girl convince a kid in their class to join by standing up to his bully and becoming friends. In a confusing maneuver, the bully feels bad for the kid he was pushing around and ends up joining the team too for a single game in order to make up for 2 years of bullying. The supporting characters still have more story to them than just 'bossy class rep' or 'pussy kid' but it's not THAT much. Still, it keeps it from being a completely generic coming of age pile of crap that Swagel would herald as the finest anime ever.

Episode Rating: C-

The animation is still pretty good, I haven't seen very many pan shots or reused animations.
Niehaus

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Episode 9: Alone on the mound

This one started out with creepy pedophile being upset that the kid didn't like her watching him shower. Reverse the genders and this is a Nabeshin show. Oh, that reminds me for some reason. The Megaton character vanished. Completely gone with no explanation. The ass shots returned in force this time around too.

So the team that the kid created now has to beat a sandlot team of adults because the soccer club said that they would give them back the baseball diamond if they beat the #2 ranked sandlot team in the region. The kid's amazing powers work against him, though. He can throw at a high level, but the batters all played in high school, which means they are at his level. They end up putting the catcher in as pitcher and the kid learns a lesson in humility and teamwork.

Episode Rating: C
Niehaus

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Episode 10: Heated match in the rain

It begins raining and the team puts up a fierce fight with a handful of muddy butt shots. The adults end up beating the kids after their outfielder robs a grand slam that would have won the game, but they are so moved by the kids' spirit that they convince the town council to let the baseball team have the diamond occasionally. Typical happy kids' sports movie moments are had.

I really have nothing else to say about this episode. I was pleased that the kids didn't win, but I was hoping they would need to play on a vacant lot or become pizza delivery boys or something, rather than work it out with the town council. Oh well.

Episode Rating: D-
Niehaus

Postby chronomeister on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Clearly this show needs more massive chins and broken baseball bats.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Niehaus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Episode 11: The team dad played for

The kid goes to see another team and discovers the Megaton on it! He cut his hair and no longer looks like a Megaton. He must then decide if he wants to join this other team and abandon his friends, which is complicated because this is the team his dad played for.

The pedophile hits him for considering the new team (and because he says that she's not his real mom.) Then, after he starts telling his friends that he's going to the new team, she starts coughing up blood. It turns out it was an ulcer and she didn't die like everyone else the kid knows.

The kid decides his friends are more important than baseballman, because baseballman is dead, so he stays with his team and tells Megaton he won't be joining Megaton's team. The episode ends with JOE GIBSON sending an emissary to request the kid fly to America and attend the All-Star Game (which actually means something, unlike the Pro Bowl.)

Episode Rating: B-

Very few ass shots this episode and they continued building the background characters. The promise of more JOE GIBSON has renewed my waning interest in the series.

Chrono, Joe Gibson is kind of like a pitching Brooklyn. He swore a lot in bad engrish and killed a guy.
Niehaus

Postby dirked on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Taking bets on if Niehaus will actually finish the series or not. If you don't think he will finish, try and guess the episode Niehaus stops at.

I'm going with a won't finish and episode 32.
dirked
Super Awesome

Next

Return to Anime & Manga