Fall 2013 Anime Season

If you've heard about a new anime series, or just want to talk about an old one, this is the place to do it!

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Fall 2013 Anime Season

Postby Bootkiller on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:59 pm

With the new season coming out, I'm dedicating this thread to the discussion of the anime coming out. I know there's that poster-thing that lists pretty much everything, so you can look it up if you want an official list.

I'm just gonna list everything I have watched so far:

Freezing Vibration - season 2 of Freezing. If you liked the first season, you'll probably like this one.

Golden Time - From the writer of Toradora comes a interesting romantic comedy involving two law school guys and the girl who is crazy for one of them. I've really enjoyed it so far.

Infinite Stratos season 2 - more of the same. If you liked IS, you'll like IS2.

Kill la Kill - WOO STUDIO TRIGGER'S FIRST TV SERIES! After the success of Inferno Cop (the best anime made by humans) and Little Witch Academia (which a sequel was successfully kickstarted within 6 hours of its creation), Studio Trigger is now making this show. If I have the time, I'll probably make a thread where I'll go into more detail on Kill la Kill, but all you really need to know is that it's fucking awesome, and that I would recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who likes Gurren Lagann.

Log Horizon - Basically the same premise as SAO, except that instead of a new fantasy MMO trapping people, it's an expansion to an existing fantasy MMO trapping people. Seems okay so far.

Nagi no Asakura - People originally lived in the sea, but some decided to sacrifice their ability to live underwater in order to live on land. Now both coexist, though there is some friction between the two. A romance blooms between a sea girl and a land guy. Seems ok, but the main sea guy pisses me right the fuck off.

Outbreak Company - If it wasn't for Kill la Kill, I'd call this show my favorite of the season so far. A kid who is the saddest, loneliest, nerdiest otaku gets recruited by the Japanese government to spread the otaku culture and sell anime to a kingdom in another dimension.

Pokémon: The Origin - A 4-episode OVA series retelling the story of the original Pokémon games, with Red instead of Ash. It's really good, and we're considering showing this for SPAMM OVA slot at some point this semester.

Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita
(approximate translation: I couldn't be a hero, so I reluctantly got a part time job) - Guy wants to be hero. Demon lord is defeated before Guy can be hero. Guy now works at magical appliance store. Demon lord's daughter applies to store because her previous occupation fell through with her dad's defeat. Hijinks ensue. Pretty good so far.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Re: Fall 2013 Anime Season

Postby grimsleeper on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:34 am

Bootkiller wrote:Pokémon: The Origin - A 4-episode OVA series retelling the story of the original Pokémon games, with Red instead of Ash. It's really good, and we're considering showing this for SPAMM OVA slot at some point this semester.

Closest we will ever get to Pokemon Adventures.

Bootkiller wrote:Kill la Kill - WOO STUDIO TRIGGER'S FIRST TV SERIES! ... that I would recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who likes Gurren Lagann.

Or P&SwG.
"In theory there are no differences between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

grimsleeper
SPAMM President Fall 2009-Spring 2010

Postby chronomeister on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Last year was better it had a very manly show called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. That's 1 manly show last year, 0 this year. 1 > 0. Last year > this year. This season sucks. Previous sentence had 3 words. 3 words. Half-Life 3 confirmed.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Bootkiller on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't know, Chrono. Wouldn't you consider the new season of Hajime no Ippo manly enough?

There's also Ace of Diamonds, which is the new baseball anime. No idea whether it's all that manly, though.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby Creed on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Damn you chrono and your crazy shenanigans! everyone knows that HL3 will come out on 12/1/13 cause 12/1/(1+3)=3 and while im on a random tangent that has nothing to do with this thread,(1+3)=3 looks kind like a half eaten chicken thigh.
FFXIV username: Creed Fallenwing
Server: Fabul
Creed
SPAMM Publicity Chair Fall 2011 - Spring 2013

Postby chronomeister on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Bootkiller wrote:There's also Ace of Diamonds, which is the new baseball anime. No idea whether it's all that manly, though.

Fuckin' lies. I only got about 10 minutes into but I already can tell it's just going to be a muthafuckin slice-o-life baseball club. I don't need this shit when I have One Outs or Inazuma Eleven.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Pretty weak season. The only thing I've enjoyed so far is Beyond the Boundary. But there's still Valvrape season 2 to make everything great.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby chronomeister on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:52 pm

I love how I criticize Ace of Diamonds being slice-o-life baseball club, but I'll probably watch all of Little Busters! Refrain.

Just finished the first episode of some Gundam show. Wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't for the MILF. I have a feeling the MILF will not be the focal point so I'll drop it.

I'm such a class act.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby tony-kun on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 am

I'm watching the new Hajime no Ippo season. It is basically the same as all the other Hajime no Ippo (i.e. awesome).
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Postby Megaton on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:54 am

About the only thing I was interested in was the Harlock movie, but that got mixed reviews. Though considering I know little to nothing of the source material I could just enjoy it as a space flick like I enjoyed Pacific Rim as a Super Robot film.

Also, where the hell is my Monster Musume anime...oh, it's not actually happening. DAMNIT.
Megaton
SPAMM Forum Champion

Postby Bootkiller on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:51 am

I would DEFINITELY watch a Monster Musume anime if they made one.

Some of the other new series I've seen since the last post:

Hajime no Ippo: Rising - season 3 of Hajime no Ippo. If you liked the other 2 seasons of this manly boxing anime, you'll probably like this one. I know I do.

Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season - season 2 of Valvrave. If you liked the first season, you'll probably like this one.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic - season 2 of Magi. If you liked the first season, you'll probably like this one.

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru
(approximate translation: My Mental Multiple-Choice Power Is Completely Ruining My School Romantic Comedy) - Guy has the weirdest problem ever: he constantly has multiple choice decisions given to him that he must choose from (such as either going to school naked from the waist up or waist down). Hijinks obviously ensue. A very silly show that I'll keep watching for now.

Samurai Flamenco - A male fashion model that grew up watching super sentai show Harakiri Sunshine decides that he wants to be a superhero, and ventures forth into the night in a superhero suit despite having any superpowers, tools, or general fighting ability. I'm really liking this show so far, but I'll have to see more to find out where it's going.

Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! - A pair of girls are the leaders of an idol group. One gets injured in a promotional event by a female amateur wrestler, and the other one vows revenge by entering female amateur wrestling herself. It's about as ecchi as you think it would be, given the premise.

Walkure Romanze - An ecchi harem story based around the world of jousting. Cool Guy who was super good at jousting injures himself to the point of needing to withdraw from jousting, and decides to go to the academy to help a female knight.

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby qPenguin on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Bootkiller wrote:Outbreak Company - If it wasn't for Kill la Kill, I'd call this show my favorite of the season so far. A kid who is the saddest, loneliest, nerdiest otaku gets recruited by the Japanese government to spread the otaku culture and sell anime to a kingdom in another dimension..

This is by far my favorite of this season. With Kill la Kill coming in a close second.

I'm also excited for Valvrave 2 and Magi 2
"I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm just playing the character where I don't know what I'm doing until I do it."
qPenguin
SPAMM Librarian Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

Postby Megaton on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 am

Bootkiller wrote:I would DEFINITELY watch a Monster Musume anime if they made one.

Well, at least I can look forward to the manga being released in English. Just hope Seven Seas does a decent job.

Can't wait to see how they handle this page: http://mangafox.me/manga/monster_musume ... 09/18.html
Megaton
SPAMM Forum Champion

Return to Anime & Manga