Suggestions for Future Showings

If you've heard about a new anime series, or just want to talk about an old one, this is the place to do it!

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Suggestions for Future Showings

Postby Sportsman225 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm sure there are threads suggesting anime to show at SPAMM but I thought I would make a new one. Here are a few shows I would enjoy at SPAMM, just to put some ideas out there. I also don't know what has been shown in the past. So if there are any repeats of things you have already shown, cut me some slack. I'm only a freshman :D

If you click the titles, you can go to the Anime-Planet site to read more about the show.

Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo

(This would only be good for the gag anime slot in my opinion)

Pyscho-Pass

Samurai Champloo

Blue Exorcist

(I must say. Amazing opening)

Sword Art Online

(I'm not sure if you have shown this already (I'm sure you have since it's on the shirt). Just thought I would bring it up.)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

And as they say in my hometown, DFTBA (Don't Forget To Be Awesome).
Sportsman225
SPAMM Librarian

Re: Suggestions for Future Showings

Postby Bootkiller on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:08 am

I think it's perfectly fine for a new thread for suggestions. Although we may know of many shows between each of the officers, there are certainly others that we don't know. And most of the other ones are probably too buried to easily access.

As far as the suggestions you have listed:
Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo - I think this show is awesome, but there are many people I know who think it's way too wacky and stupid to watch.
Psycho-Pass - We screened this, and thought it was good. However, we decided the show was way too dark for a general SPAMM audience.
Samurai Champloo, Blue Exorcist, Sword Art Online - already shown within the last 4 years

Everyone is free to give suggestions, especially as I tend to watch anything and everything I have available time for.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby qPenguin on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:59 am

These are my favorites of what I am watching right now (that I think could do alright):

Inari Konkon Koi Iroha Dawww
Noragami It's not a tail, it's the only thing keeping her soul connected to her body
Samurai Flamenco near Gurren Lagan levels of parodying the super sentai genre
Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Kyu always wished to fly
"I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm just playing the character where I don't know what I'm doing until I do it."
qPenguin
SPAMM Librarian Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

Postby Vibram on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:17 pm

Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Vibram

Postby Niehaus on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Because virtually nobody is around who was there when I was there, let me provide you with some suggestions for older SPAMM classics:

Akagi - The popularity of this show spawned a Mahjong club, certainly worth a look
Berserk - Blood, violence, nudity. What's not to like? It has been shown the most of any series at SPAMM, with a whopping 7 historical showings.
Crest/Banner of the Stars - Spaceships and elves
FLCL - Classic comedy that I wouldn't be surprised if most 'new' anime fans haven't seen
Giant Robo - This MUST be watched in the original English dub
Golden Boy - Again, original English dub
Kaiji - Led to the only competitive rock, paper, scissors competition at SPAMM, also worth a look
Macross Frontier - Macross series in general are a mainstay of SPAMM history. Our first big club project was a fansub of Macross 7.
Monster - One of the longest shows we've ever finished at SPAMM
Mushishi - A good late-night show
Nana - This was fairly popular shoujo that held audience interest throughout the time it was shown
One Outs - Akagi/Kaiji, but with baseball. The most popular sports anime shown at SPAMM.
Record of Lodoss War OVA - old-style animation, plus Lodoss was the predecessor of the Secret of Crystania
Texhnolyze - A good end of night show. The first episode was almost entirely devoid of words, but kept the audience rapt with attention.
X TV - The TV version of the X movie, both of which made several showings

There is also a master list I created. It has not been updated recently, as I lost access to the administrative cpanel some time after serving my final term as president in the spring of 2009. It is updated through to the spring of 2010, though.
Niehaus
SPAMM President Fall 2006-Spring 2009

Postby tony-kun on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:33 am

Apocalypse Zero
Ogre Slayer
Violence Jack
Black Lion
Peacock King
Street Fighter: 2V

Niehaus wrote:Because virtually nobody is around who was there when I was there, let me provide you with some suggestions for older SPAMM classics:

Akagi - The popularity of this show spawned a Mahjong club, certainly worth a look
Berserk - Blood, violence, nudity. What's not to like? It has been shown the most of any series at SPAMM, with a whopping 7 historical showings.
Crest/Banner of the Stars - Spaceships and elves
FLCL - Classic comedy that I wouldn't be surprised if most 'new' anime fans haven't seen
Giant Robo - This MUST be watched in the original English dub
Golden Boy - Again, original English dub
Kaiji - Led to the only competitive rock, paper, scissors competition at SPAMM, also worth a look
Macross Frontier - Macross series in general are a mainstay of SPAMM history. Our first big club project was a fansub of Macross 7.
Monster - One of the longest shows we've ever finished at SPAMM
Mushishi - A good late-night show
Nana - This was fairly popular shoujo that held audience interest throughout the time it was shown
One Outs - Akagi/Kaiji, but with baseball. The most popular sports anime shown at SPAMM.
Record of Lodoss War OVA - old-style animation, plus Lodoss was the predecessor of the Secret of Crystania
Texhnolyze - A good end of night show. The first episode was almost entirely devoid of words, but kept the audience rapt with attention.
X TV - The TV version of the X movie, both of which made several showings

There is also a master list I created. It has not been updated recently, as I lost access to the administrative cpanel some time after serving my final term as president in the spring of 2009. It is updated through to the spring of 2010, though.

We should watch some classic anime some time.
tony-kun
正義のAlumnus

Postby jman on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 am

Outbreak Company
Those who create idiot-proof products severely underestimate the ingenuity of idiots. -Douglas Adams

Steam: jman183
jman
Junior Otaku

Postby qPenguin on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:00 am

We need to avoid shows like Apocalypse Zero and Berserk which have nudity. Some mature content is fine for the last show or OVA, but if it would be rated "adults only", that's too much.

We also tend to avoid longer running shows since we only see ~13 episodes a semester, and the surveys rarely call for more than one or two shows to continue into the next semester. Shows that don't catch people's interest in the first few episodes are rated very poorly with the audience. Attendance has a strong correlation to how popular the first two weeks are.
"I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm just playing the character where I don't know what I'm doing until I do it."
qPenguin

Postby Megaton on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:00 am

qPenguin wrote:We need to avoid shows like Apocalypse Zero and Berserk which have nudity. Some mature content is fine for the last show or OVA, but if it would be rated "adults only", that's too much.

Niehaus wrote:Berserk - Blood, violence, nudity. What's not to like? It has been shown the most of any series at SPAMM, with a whopping 7 historical showings.
Megaton
SPAMM Forum Champion

Postby qPenguin on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:04 pm

With the possibility of attendees under the age of 18 coming to SPAMM, I don't think that it's a good idea to put that up on the screen.
I like berserk too, and I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for a more mature show. I can see how the new movies work for the OVA as few people stay for OVAs, but even then you'd still have to give everyone in the audience an idea of what they are getting into.

Apoc on the other hand only works when I'm drunk as hell, which can't be by the end of SPAMM, so that's just out.
qPenguin

Postby Sportsman225 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Found a pretty good show.

Another

And as they say in my hometown, DFTBA (Don't Forget To Be Awesome).
Sportsman225
SPAMM Librarian

Postby jman on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:14 am

No, Connor. Just...No.
Those who create idiot-proof products severely underestimate the ingenuity of idiots. -Douglas Adams

Steam: jman183
jman
Junior Otaku

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:29 pm

While I like the idea of "classic" anime series, it seems that with the current demographic of SPAMM, if it's older than 1995 it simply does not do well because people focus more on how old the animation is or the limits of the animation and do not enjoy the actual show. Which is stupid, but that's what happens right now. Plus, there are SO MANY newer shows right now that are easily available and rated highly that to go back and run something just because it's a "classic" seems to be recycling the same old joke. There's room for older series and I personally enjoyed Golden Boy, but right now if it's older than your average SPAMM member, it just does not do well.

Penguin also had good points-a lot of the shows have to be attention-grabbing within the first 3 or 4 episodes. If it doesn't, people leave. Most long-running series (yes, there are exceptions) take their time to really get going and it just doesn't work when you only show 13 episodes.

About the nudity blood/violence/gore thing: yes, we sometimes have people under the age of 18, and we do allow anyone to come and watch so that's why we've been shying away from anything too graphic. I don't want our club to get kicked off campus because a staff or faculty member complains about what we're showing. Fine if it's been done in the past, but that doesn't make it right or necessary now.

I personally think Ping-Pong Club is a hilarious series, but there is no way in hell we could ever show it outside of a couple of episodes.
HyruleanCookieZelda
Ex-Vice President / Richard Hawk

Return to Anime & Manga