Boots (P)reviews a Season: Summer 2014

If you've heard about a new anime series, or just want to talk about an old one, this is the place to do it!

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Boots (P)reviews a Season: Summer 2014

Postby Bootkiller on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Hello, everyone! Hope summer has been treating people well. As my summer job search has not been treating me so great, I have lots of time, and little to do. And those who know me know that I don't do well when bored.

So I figured I'd spend some time doing something productive. Heck, on our surveys about the SPAMM forum, one of the most common things people wanted was someone to talk about new anime coming out, and make recommendations on anime in general. I'll at least do the former, especially since people seem to be wary of my opinions on the latter.

Formatted similar to how Chrono would (p)review a season, I'm going to have the premise of each show, any thoughts that I have while watching the first episode, and then a general yay/nay for continuing. Depending on how things go, I may do more in the future, but consider this a starting point.

A few things before I start:

First, I won't be doing 2nd+ seasons of a show if I haven't seen the first season. I will mention them here, but unless I end up going back and watching the earlier season(s), there's not much point in me talking about them.

Second, the impressions are based on my opinions and tastes, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Or two.

Let's get started, shall we?

Akame ga Kill!
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
"Tatsumi is a fighter who just got robbed by a pretty girl, but his luck seems to be looking up, as another pretty girl has taken him in. What he doesn’t know is that this girl is about to be visited by a family of assassins (including the girl who robbed him) and they might be the good guys, and be recruiting..." - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - If you ever wanted to see an empire filled almost entirely with scumbags, this is an anime for you. In all seriousness, this show really reminds me of Berserk in how evil and nasty most people are, and also reminds me of Berserk in how violently and frequently people get murdered. Definitely not for everyone, but I'm interested.

Continuing Thoughts - I definitely like this one. The characters are interesting, and there's more than enough violence for those who want it. Make sure not to get too attached to anyone though, for nobody is safe.

My odds of watching: High
Your odds of watching: If you like Berserk-style shows, high. If you don't like seeing people torn to shreds with swords, steer clear.

AldNoah.Zero
Genre: Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi
"In 1972, the Apollo 17 mission discovered a hypergate to Mars on the surface of the moon. Soon a war breaks out between Earth and Mars, and Martian soldiers begin to descend from the sky, riding steel giants, intent on exterminating humanity." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - This show looks really good, although I'm not 100% sure what the mood's going to generally be. It started off kinda lighthearted, but by the end of the episode had entire towns of people being vaporized by the landings of the giant spacecraft.

Continuing Thoughts - Four episodes in, and this show looks to be really interesting. It's rare when the bad guys have OP space mechas, and instead of getting one of our own, we have to find their weaknesses and use the garbage earth mechas along with whatever's lying around in order to exploit them.

My odds of watching:High
Your odds of watching:Medium-High

Ao Haru Ride
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, School, Shoujo
"Yoshioka Futaba has a few reasons why she wants to "reset" her image & life as a new high school student. Because she's cute, she was ostracized by her female friends in junior high, and because of a misunderstanding, she couldn't get her feeling across to the one boy she has ever liked, Tanaka-kun. Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won't be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but now things can never be the same again. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?" - MU

Initial Thoughts - TBD

My odds of watching:TBD
Your odds of watching:TBD

Bakumatsu Rock
Genre: Music
"The story is set in the Bakumatsu era, at the end of the shoguns' rule over Japan in the middle of the 19th century. The Tokugawa shogunate uses the brainwashing Heaven's Songs by the top idols in Shinsengumi to subjugate the country and its people. In this Japan, writing or singing any songs besides the Heaven's Songs is a capital offense. Sakamoto Ryouma and the other rockers rise up and change the world with rock 'n' roll for freedom and justice." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - You have people dressed like samurais wailing on guitars. What do you think my opinion of it is? It's like a weird anime version of Footloose. And that's a thing I never asked for, but never realized I wanted so bad.

My odds of watching:ROCKIN'
Your odds of watching:Low, as this show's probably going to be too weird for most people.

Barakamon
Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
"As a punishment for punching a famous Calligrapher, young handsome Calligrapher Handa Seishu is exiled on a small island. As someone who has never lived outside of a city, Handa has to adapt to his new wacky neighbors, like people traveling on a tractor, unwanted visitors who never use the front door, annoying kids using his home as a playground, etc. Can this city guy handle all the crazy hardships? Find out in this wacky island comedy full of innocence and laughter!!!"
- MAL

Initial Thoughts - From the first episode alone, I already love this show. It's just so fun and heartwarming, and the calligraphy aspects are very pretty. Definitely going to keep on watching this show.

Continuing Thoughts - I am definitely enjoying every minute of this show, which includes one of the best and least annoying kid characters I have seen in quite some time.

Your odds of watching:Medium-High

DRAMAtical Murder
Genre: Action, Sci-fi, Psychological
"The story takes place many years in the future where the game "Rhyme," a virtual fighting game, is incredibly popular and people possess "AllMates," convenient AI computers. Aoba leads an ordinary life, working at a junk shop and living with his grandmother on the island of Midorijima. Unlike his friends, he doesn't participate in Rhyme, nor does he belong in a gang. However, when rumors of people disappearing spread, Aoba finds himself needing to unravel the mysteries behind the island in order to protect his everyday life." - MU

Initial Thoughts - So, interestingly enough, this show is based on a visual novel made by Nitro+ (or Nitroplus), which is a company I love for its stellar writing. Another fun fact about DRAMAtical Murder's VN is that it is of the 18+ Yaoi variety. Thankfully, the anime is based off of the non-romance path from the VN, so things shouldn't be too creepy for people who want to give the show a shot.

Continuing Thoughts - Well there is a direct kiss between two guys in the third episode so if that would deter you, now you know. I'm rather liking it so far although the startup, while entertaining, has been a tad slow.

My odds of watching:Medium-High
Your odds of watching:Medium, if you're okay with watching a bunch of dudes

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Magic
"About a month after the events of the first manga, a new mission to normalize the Earth's pulsations come up. However, when Ilya tries to subdue the pulsations... " - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - Never saw the first season, so no idea.

My odds of watching:If I ever get around to watching the first season
Your odds of watching:If(watched first season And enjoyed first season) Then High

Free! Eternal Summer
Genre: Sports, Comedy, School, Slice of Life
"After the last swimming competition, the bonds between Haru, Makoto, Nagisa and Rei have greatly deepened. With each passing day, each member continued to grow. Rin tries to overcome his past and, with the help of his new teammates, aims to create the strongest swim team yet. Holding on to their ambitions, they face themselves and welcome the new summer!" - Crunchyroll

Initial Thoughts - What do you think?

My odds of watching:High if I'm bored one day, and I decide to finish the first season along with this.
Your odds of watching: Statistically higher if you are female. Yay fanservice!

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita.
Genre: Comdey, Seinen
"High school girl Nanako became her town's local idol at the request of her uncle. She and her upperclassman Yukari, a girl who seems perfect but ends up being airheaded, both become idols of their provincial area. They get interviewed (by the town's shopping center), go on television (low-budget cable), and hold concerts (on the roof of the department store). The girls' salaries come from the town's taxes." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Genre: Comedy, Romance, School
"The romantic comedy story begins when high school student Sakura Chiyo confesses her feelings to her classmate Nozaki. Due to a misunderstanding, Nozaki thinks Sakura is just a fan of his shoujo manga work. Sakura has to convey her true feelings while her relationship with Nozaki develops." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - I like how a serialized, award-winning Shoujo mangaka has absolutely no actual experience with love. Jokes aside, this show is a lot of fun, and had me laughing from time to time.

Continuing Thoughts - I love this show, and wholeheartedly recommend it for SPAMM viewing. The characters are a wonderful balance of weird and realistic, the writing is great, and the way the show plays with shoujo tropes and general character stereotypes is incredibly funny.

My odds of watching:Medium-HighHIGH
Your odds of watching:Medium

Glasslip
Genre: Slice of Life, Drama
"Glasslip follows the story of Toko Fukami, an aspiring glass-blower whose family runs a glass-working business. During the summer, she and her four friends meet a transfer student, Kakeru Okikura, who claims that a voice from the future lead him to Toko. His arrival sets off a chain of events for the six of them that will make their final summer together full of hope and heartache." - Crunchyroll

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Hanamonogatari
Genre: Action, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Vampire
"The next part of the Monogatari Series, Hanamonogatari features Suruga Kanbaru and is set after Koyomi Araragi graduates from High School." - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - Man, I really need to finish all of the -monogatari series. I've only gotten through Bake- and Nise- so far...

My odds of watching:Whenever I get around to catching up.
Your odds of watching:High if you like the -monogatari series.

Hanayamata
Genre: Seinen, Slice of Life
"Normal appearance, normal intelligence, normal in arts and sports... just normal. This is the entirely normal 14-year-old, Naru Sekiya. While she admires "Heroines" she continues to live a normal life until one moonlit night she meets a fairy. This foreign girl then guides her into the extraordinary world of the yosakoi dance." - Manga Time Kirara

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Himegoto
Genre: Comedy
"The story follows Hime Arikawa, a boy who is being chased down by scary people. However, he is rescued from danger by the girls in his school's student council. The student council will assume Arikawa's debt under one condition: "As the student council's dog, you will spend your high school life in women's clothes." " - ANN

Initial Thoughts - This show is amazing. Easily the best show this season.

Continuing Thoughts - Yup, still the best.

My odds of watching:FUCKIN' HIGH
Your odds of watching:GO WATCH IT EACH EPISODE IS FOUR MINUTES

Jinsei
Genre: Slice of Life
"The story centers around Yūki Akamatsu, a boy who joins the staff of his school's second newspaper. The editor-in-chief Ayaka Nikaidō immediately assigns him to the life (jinsei) advice column. Three girls - the science representative Rino Endō, the liberal arts representative Fumi Kujō, and the physical education representative Ikumi Suzuki - answer requests from students about whatever is troubling them." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus
Genre:
"In Victorian London, the breathtaking performances of the Noah's Ark Circus have captured the attention of people all across the city. But the spell of magic and wonderment woven under the big top is not without consequences. Children have suddenly begun to vanish, and some suspect these mysterious performers are responsible. In an attempt to get to the bottom of these disturbing disappearances, the dashing duo of demon butler, Sebastian Michaelis, and his young master, Ciel Phantomhive, will infiltrate the circus and uncover whatever darkness may lie at its core!" - Funimation

Initial Thoughts - Never got around to finishing the original series, so it'll be a while before I get here.

My odds of watching:Eventually
Your odds of watching:High if you like Black Butler's previous seasons

Love Stage!!
Genre: Comedy, Shounen-ai
"His father and older brother are famous singers, his mother is a renown artist, Izumi Sena was born into a family of super entertainers! However, unlike the rest of his family, Izumi is an otaku who aspires to become a manga illustrator. One day, he is roped into starring in a television commercial dressed as a woman. The actor Izumi is featured with, Ryoma, falls in love at first sight upon meeting him. It turns out that they had actually met 10 years prior and Ryoma's attraction hasn't changed even after finding out Izumi is a boy." - Crunchyroll

Initial Thoughts - If you didn't bother to read the premise, all four of the people shown above are dudes. What can I say? It's funny, but it's not really my kind of thing.

My odds of watching:Medium-low
Your odds of watching:Medium-low

Majimoji Rurumo
Genre:
"The "magical slapstick comedy" begins with Kōta Shibaki (the #1 pervert of his school) and some magical tickets that suddenly arrive for him. Rurumo, an apprentice witch who was demoted from a full witch, is training with these tickets in the human world. Shibaki can use these tickets to grant wishes that Rurumo must perform as part of her training. The catch is that each used ticket shortens Shibaki's life." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Minarai Diva
Genre: Music
"The story follows two aspiring divas who hope to become famous through a unique brand of music." - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Momo Kyun Sword
Genre: Fantasy, Ecchi, Magic
"The story begins with a female re-imagining of Momotarō, a famous character in Japanese folklore. Momoko is a beautiful young sword fighter who was born inside a peach. She lives with her constant companions - the dog god Inugami, the monkey god Sarugami, and the pheasant god Kijigami - in a peaceful paradise. However, a demon army led by devil king invades the paradise and steals the precious treasure that protects Momoko's land. To retrieve the treasure and save the people, Momoko embarks on a great adventure with her three companions." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - Great, just what I needed. A fanservice-filled all-girl version of the Momotaro story. Fantastic. Amazing. And hey, it took an entire fifty seconds to make a "peach = boobs" joke. At least it didn't keep me waiting for that gem. Bleugh. I feel sick.

My odds of watching:High (I hate myself, sometimes)
Your odds of watching:LOW

Nobunaga Concerto
Genre: Person in a Strange World, Feudal Japan, Historical, Romance, Shounen
"The story centers around Saburou, a high school boy who time-travels to Japan's Sengoku Era. He must become Nobunaga Oda, the famed warlord who helps unite Japan." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Persona 4 The Golden Animation
Genre: Mystery, Fantasy, Supernatural
"Spring. A rural town, far removed from the city, that spends its time peacefully. A boy arrives at Yaso Inaba Station, where the cherry blossom petals are falling. His name is Yu Narukami. Due to his family's situation, he moves to Inaba to live with his uncle, and attends Yasogami High School. From there, his school life begins: The shopping mall after school. The serial murders happening in the town. The Midnight Channel that comes on late at night... What days are waiting for Yu and his friends "this time"?" - ANN

Initial Thoughts - I loved playing Persona 4. All 100+ hours. I also loved watching the original P4 anime run. I haven't played P4:Golden because I don't have a Vita, but basically it's an improved version. While I don't know if an anime on the improved version is entirely necessary, I'll definitely watch it anyway.

My odds of watching:HIGH
Your odds of watching:Medium-High, High for fans of the games

Psycho-Pass New Edit Version
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Police
"The "new edit version" will take the first series and re-cut it into 11 one-hour episodes with new cuts of footage." - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - Kind of like what they did for Break Blade last season. Still good, but not much new.

My odds of watching:Medium
Your odds of watching:If you wanna watch Psycho-Pass again in a somewhat compressed format

PuriPara
Genre: Kids, Music, Slice of Life
"The new anime is set in the Puri-Para world, filled with girls' dreams and yearnings for fashion, dance, and music. Seemingly every day, there are auditions that send top idols to worldwide fame on television and online. Lala and her friends are all fascinated with this world. However, Lala's school prohibits Puri-Para for elementary school children. An unexpected chance leads Lala to make her first entrance into the world of Puri-Para, where she just might make her debut." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

RAIL WARS!
Genre: Action, Romance, Shounen
"In a parallel world where Japan has not privatized any of its railways, Naoto Takayama is an ordinary high school student who dreams of being a train conductor for the Japanese National Railways. He is assigned as to the Tokyo Central Railway Public Security Office. He is teamed up with Aoi Sakurai, a strong willed woman who excels in marksmanship and close combat, Haruka Koumi, who has an extraordinary memory, and Sho Iwaizumi, a hot-blooded man who relies on brute force. From lost children to bombings, Naoto must lead this team, despite not having any special strength!" - Crunchyroll

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Re: Hamatora
Genre: Comedy, Mystery, Shounen, Super Power
"The final episode of Hamatora ended with a "To Be Continued." The official Hamatora Twitter account confirmed that the Project will continue." - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - I really enjoyed the first season, so I'm just gonna keep on watching the second one, and hope things keep on going well.

Continuing Thoughts - Without spoiling anything, all I can really say is that the new arc is very mysterious and exciting.

Your odds of watching:If you liked the first season

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
Genre: Comedy, Romance, School, Supernatural
"The "apartment comedy" centers around Kōtarō Satomi, a boy who started to live by himself to attend a high school. He fortunately discovered a very cheap, tiny (six-mat or rokujyōma) room for 5,000 yen (about US$50) a month, and began his new life there. However, when he moved into that room "1X6" in the Korona complex, some unexpected "roommates" began appearing one by one." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Sabagebu!
Genre: Comedy, Shoujo, Military
"Middle school girl Momoka is dragged into joining one of the strangest associations at her school, the Survival Game Club. Its members participate in various forms of paramilitary training under the watchful eye of charming and alarming president, Miou." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
Genre: Seinen, Supernatural, Harem, School, Comedy
"In the "elemental fantasy" of Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, only a pure girl may enter into a spirit contract. At Areishia Spirit Academy, the daughters of nobility are assembled to take elite classes and become spirit elementalists. A boy named Kamito happened to be peeping on a student named Claire while she was taking a bath, and he accidentally makes a contract with a spirit instead of Claire. Now, Kamito has become something once thought impossible in this world — a male spirit elementalist." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - It's basically Infinite Stratos, but with magic instead of mechas.

Continuing Thoughts - More or less correct, but with a trade. Infinite Stratos had less pandering and dumb fanservice, but this show has a much more likable protagonist. So I guess this one wins?

Additional Continued Thoughts: After five episodes, I can say that while the main character is more appealing than the one from Infinite Stratos, ALL of the girls in this are way flatter and less interesting. The five main girls are an annoying idiotic tsundere (red hair), a royal snobby tsundere (blonde), an uptight tsundere (blue), a flirt with large breasts (purple), and an emotionless girl who is almost always naked except for kneesocks(white). I can say without a doubt that it is easier to identify the girls in this show by their hair color than by their personality.

My odds of watching:High (again, I hate myself sometimes)
Your odds of watching:LOW

Sengoku Basara Judge End
Genre: Action, Historical, Martial Arts, Samurai, Super Power
"Based on CAPCOM's 2010 game Sengoku Basara 3 (Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes), and it will depict the epic Battle of Sekigahara." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - I really need to get around to watching all of Sengoku Basara...

My odds of watching:Eventually
Your odds of watching:If you like Sengoku Basara so far

Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen
Genre: Mecha, Sci-fi, Military/War
"The Kingdom of Arandas alliance and the Countries Unification of Ingelmia have been at war for many years. The situation has been at a stalemate across the fortress of the Great Wall, which has never been penetrated since the foundation of Arandas. The gate to the fortress has remained firmly closed, but when it creaks open, the complexity of war starts to change dramatically." - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - Whenever there's an OP prototype model mecha, why does it always fall into the hands of the most inexperienced idiot in the bunch? At least in Break Blade it was because that idiot was the only person around who was able to pilot the thing. I'm guessing we'll see in episode 2 that the Argevollen (what a name) has registered the main guy (who has shown to not know what he's doing when it comes to piloting, and directly disobeys orders) and won't work when anyone else tries, but still.
The show seems perfectly competent, but nothing outstanding. We haven't been told enough to even know what kind of story we'll be seeing, but I don't know if enough happened for anyone to be drawn to watch more. Well besides me, of course.

My odds of watching: Medium-low
Your odds of watching: Low

Shounen Hollywood -Holly Stage for 49-
Genre:
"The anime will tell an original story set 15 years after the novel's story. It takes place at a fictional theater called Hollywood Tokyo in Harajuku, where members of the idol group "Shonen Hollywood" develop their talents with diligent work and studying." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Space☆Dandy 2
Genre: Comedy, Sci-Fi, Space
"The second season of Space☆Dandy" - Anilist

Initial Thoughts - Damn it, I need to get around to finishing the first season.

My odds of watching:As soon as I finish season one.
Your odds of watching:High if you liked the goofy parts of Cowboy Bebop.

Sword Art Online II
Genre: Action, Sci Fi, Adventure, Fantasy, Person in a Strange World
"One year after the SAO incident, Kirito is approached by Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Department, Seijiro Kikuoka, with a request to enter another VRMMO called Gun Gale Online (GGO). Kikuoka informs Kirito that, “Players who are shot by a mysterious avatar with a jet black gun lose their lives even in the real world...” Unconvinced that the virtual world can affect the real world, Kirito logs on to GGO, wandering in an unfamiliar world in order to investigate the “Death Gun” incident. He is joined by a female sniper named Sinon who owns a gigantic “Hecate II” rifle. The two decide to enter the “Bullet of Bullets,” a large tournament to choose the most powerful gunner within the realm of GGO, in hopes of making direct contact with the mysterious avatar behind the “Death Gun”." - Crunchyroll

Initial Thoughts - Man, I really don't care about this show. I thought the first arc of SAO season one was tolerable, and the second arc of season one was really bad. And now the one character gimmick the Kirito had (being stupidly OP because he was a beta tester) appears to be gone. Also, swords are gone too. Why is this called Sword Art Online again?

Continuing Thoughts - Stupid naming convention due to translating from light novel to anime aside, I will at least give this season what it deserves by saying it is better than the second half of the first season. Man, Alfheim was dumb. And actually, now at the 6th episode, this season's actually getting decent.

However, I don't think SAO deserves the ridiculous amount of acclaim it's getting, and I fear that it's going to be the next show that I will see shitloads of bad cosplay at conventions. I think my main issue is that anime-version Kirito has basically no personality, and is nothing more than a somewhat cool-looking coat. Kinda like Indiana Jones.

Basically, If you like the premise of SAO, and want to see its pace and characterization not scrapped for time, go read the light novels. They're much better.

My odds of watching: Basically non-existant, but I am reading the light novels
Your odds of watching: If you liked SAO so far, I'm sure you'll like this too.

Tokyo ESP
Genre: Action, Fantasy, Supernatural, Seinen
"The science fantasy story begins with Rinka, an extremely poor high school girl who lives with just her father in modern Tokyo. One day, she is going home from school when she chases a "flying penguin" to the top of New Tokyo Tower — only to have "fish swimming in the air" suddenly appear before her. One of the fish goes through Rinka and gives her extraordinary powers beyond those of normal humans, particularly the ability to slip through solid objects." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Tokyo Ghoul
Genre: Mystery, Horror, Supernatural, Psychological, Seinen
"The suspense horror/dark fantasy story is set in Tokyo, which is haunted by mysterious "ghouls" who are devouring humans. People are gripped by the fear of these ghouls whose identities are masked in mystery. An ordinary college student named Kaneki encounters Rize, a girl who is an avid reader like him, at the café he frequents. Little does he realize that his fate will change overnight." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

Zankyou no Terror
Genre: Psychological, Thriller
"On a summer day, a massive terrorist bombing suddenly struck Tokyo. The culprits behind the act that woke up this complacent nation from its slumber, were just two boys. Now, the culprits known as "Sphinx" begin a grandiose game that encompasses all of Japan." - ANN

Initial Thoughts - TBD

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Re: Boots Previews a Season: Summer 2014

Postby qPenguin on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:54 pm

You missed one :P

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal
For the 20th Anniversary of Sailor Moon, we get a redone version of the show. I'm not a fan of how they incorporate CG into the new style, but the overall quality is very good.

My favorite show so far: Akame ga Kill!
"I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm just playing the character where I don't know what I'm doing until I do it."
qPenguin
SPAMM Librarian Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

Postby Bootkiller on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:41 pm

qPenguin wrote:You missed one :P

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal

Isn't that just a movie? I had only counted TV series.

Also, I'm sure I don't have everything that's coming out, just the majority of it. I'll add more when I find it.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby Oci on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Nah, the Sailor Moon is a redo of the entire series that's going to be ongoing, if I heard right.

Also, Fate/kaleid 2wei yaay! Looks like they may do more with using the cards as opposed to just dedicating the season to just collecting them.
Oci
SPAMM Publicity Chair

Postby chronomeister on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:02 am

So many shows, so little caring from me. Ever since they pushed back KanColle to fall there's just nothing... Doesn't mean I won't get around to watching them, it's just maybe I'll finish backlogs instead. Like how I finally finished Toradorable! this week.

And why do I not see Anime of Season, Himegoto?
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:32 am

Usagi's voice in crystal is nails on a chalkboard for me, I can't watch it. Other than that, everything is average.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Bootkiller on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:39 pm

chronomeister wrote:And why do I not see Anime of Season, Himegoto?

I 100% agree with you on Anime of Season, but I had left it off the list since it's a five minute anime series. If I included those along with OVA's and shows being continued from last season like Captain Earth, the list would be that much longer. And I was making that list constantly in fear of all of my text disappearing before I could post.

I also notice there are some (including the Sailor Moon remake) missing, and will get around to those, along with filling in the ones I hadn't actually watched yet.

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby chronomeister on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Then put it as an honorable mention. After that second episode, it deserves no less than that.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 am

I like Rail Wars
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby chronomeister on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:10 am

Rail Wars is bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

I like it, too.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:41 pm

ZAKU APPROVED SHOWS:

Argevollen
Rail Wars
Aldnoah Zero
Nozaki
Hanayamata
Akame ga Kill
Sabagebu

THUMBS WAY DOWN:
Love Stage
Dramatical Murder
Momo Kyun Sword
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Bootkiller on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:52 am

Hello again!

Couldn't sleep, and was bored, so I am watching a shit-load of this season's new anime and generally catching up, since I hadn't watched anything since the last post I made about 3 weeks ago.

So along with the update to some show impressions that I didn't' already have, I'm also implementing continuing thoughts, which cover any thoughts I have on a show past watching the first episode. Some may only be after the second episode, some the third, some could go on until I the series ends. I figure that these are just as important as the initial thoughts, especially when deciding what's actually worth watching.

I'm actually still watching shows right now, and will be catching up over the next couple of days. I wanted to get a head start on the post, so this post will be updated with every show that I get to watching, noting either the first episodes and/or continuations.

Alrighty then! Update list for 7/30-7/31 is as follows:

New Shows: Barakamon, DRAMAtical Murder

Continued Shows: Akame ga Kill!, Aldnoah.Zero, DRAMAtical Murder, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Re:_Hamatora

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby Bootkiller on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Is there any better way for me to take a break from senior seminar research than to watch more anime?

Probably.

Update list for 8/12-8/13 is as follows:

New Shows: Himegoto

Continued Shows: Barakamon, Himegoto, Sword Art Online II

Additional Continued Thoughts: Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Fun Fact: While Chrono has already pointed out how amazing Himegoto is, I had actually watched this one prior to his suggestion. The reason I hadn't put it on the list was because it is a 4-minute anime.

Fun Fact II:The version I saw basically made the show even better (I know, nigh impossible), because the first episode had this for the opening:

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby chronomeister on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Bootkiller wrote:Fun Fact: While Chrono has already pointed out how amazing Himegoto is, I had actually watched this one prior to his suggestion. The reason I hadn't put it on the list was because it is a 4-minute anime.

I am so proud i have thoroughly corrupted you.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Re: Boots (P)reviews a Season: Summer 2014

Postby Bootkiller on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Even though I am starting the next season's (p)review, I will still be updating this one when I watch more of the shows from this season that I haven't gotten to yet.

Will I ever get to all of them? Unlikely. But who knows?

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Return to Anime & Manga