New Officers!

Check out what's happening at SPAMM. If you are new to the forums, check this forum for the Forum Rules and Registration/Posting Instructions.

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Re: New Officers!

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

Just because the officers don't spend time on the forums does not mean they will be bad officers, or that they do not care about the alumni. Officers are mainly responsible for making the club "work" with the guidelines of UWP.

I think what has happened is simply the way newer members tend to interact with groups. This is notall new members, but I would say most new people coming to UWP are not as familiar with using a forum. Let's be honest, this is the Facebook generation. The entirety of their teenage lives is on Facebook.

That's why I'm planning on creating a Facebook group for SPAMM with links to the forums. I figure it will be easier to plan events and update people about what's going on in SPAMM. Things like cons, special events, trips, meeting time/location changes, and the semester schedule would be on the FB group. It's not going to replace the forum threads, links, and discussions.

Again, the spamm.org will stay. The FB group is an addition.
HyruleanCookieZelda
Ex-Vice President / Richard Hawk

Postby Oci on Fri May 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Considering how FB makes it so all posts must be scrolled through to find anything, this forum is quite a bit better. Event reminding can also be less of a hassle, I imagine.

And i just noticed that I never posted an intro thread.
Oci
SPAMM Publicity Chair

Postby Creed on Fri May 10, 2013 4:07 pm

^^^^^^^
FFXIV username: Creed Fallenwing
Server: Fabul
Creed
SPAMM Publicity Chair Fall 2011 - Spring 2013

Postby qPenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 4:30 pm

[quote="HyruleanCookieZelda"]That's why I'm planning on creating a Facebook group for SPAMM [i]with links to the forums[/i].[/quote]

But then I'd have to use facebook... DO NOT WANT
qPenguin
SPAMM Librarian Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

qPenguin-You don't have to use FB. Everything will be here and on FB. It's just that a lot of people use FB, and with FB groups you get notifications if anything is added to the group, so you're not scrolling through a lot of posts if you don't have to.

Participation is not required. ;)
HyruleanCookieZelda

Postby chronomeister on Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm

HyruleanCookieZelda wrote:so you're not scrolling through a lot of posts

This made me laugh a lot.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby rukio on Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Oci wrote:Considering how FB makes it so all posts must be scrolled through to find anything, this forum is quite a bit better. Event reminding can also be less of a hassle, I imagine.

And i just noticed that I never posted an intro thread.

that why its a group not a page, you will see a little number next to the group saying there is something new there, and it won't get lost in the news feed
and this is only going to a supplement to the forum
rukio

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Fri May 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Don't like facebook? Don't use it. Use the forum. Get your all your amazing SPAMM info, now served in two flavors.
HyruleanCookieZelda

Postby QazYseult on Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 pm

What if you hate change?
How will the new officers cater to my curmudgeonly skullduggery?
:ultramegaton:
"Violation of physics? I'll violate you!" - Xygord
QazYseult
Ex-Librarian

Postby rukio on Sat May 11, 2013 12:07 am

if you dont like change too bad because,
and im sorry if this does piss off any of the alumni but this needs to be said,
this isn't the alumni's club, this is our club, and it shall be run by the current officers as needed.

the forums are dead to newer members as it is so we need a way to communicate with the current members and get the word out. this is how its going to be and if it don't work then all we lose is a bit of time nothing more nothing less.

i a realize this post might be a slight joke but still it needed to be said
rukio

Postby Zaku on Sat May 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Kids these days have no respect for tradition.
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Bootkiller on Sat May 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Honestly, from what I've been told of old SPAMM, there hasn't been much that's all that different.

Hell, a lot of the inside jokes and traditions are still around. We still have Bismarck, we still shout "SPANISH!" at language select, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I've been trying to get people to use the forums for things other than rides, even before I recently became an officer. I'll probably be doubling my efforts now that I am an officer.

Along with that, I don't care that much for FB, as I haven't used it in over two years, and don't really plan on using any time soon. However, I can see how it can be useful for SPAMM memebers who don't regularly check the forums.

I say that if we use FB, we should only post the name of whatever event or announcement there, then provide a link to the SPAMM forum, where the details for said event or announcement are on the front page (where important posts tend to be, anyway). That way, it isn't like we're replacing the forum with FB.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby HyruleanCookieZelda on Sat May 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Bootkiller wrote: I say that if we use FB, we should only post the name of whatever event or announcement there, then provide a link to the SPAMM forum, where the details for said event or announcement are on the front page (where important posts tend to be, anyway). That way, it isn't like we're replacing the forum with FB.

That's what I've said from the beginning. Both FB and and spamm.org will run at the same time, and both will have information. I was planning to have the FB group have links to the forums at all times.

And don't say I have no respect for tradition. I've worked for one museum, am currently working at the Mining Museum, and I just got done mowing the lawn with a completely manual pushmower today. :) And, I'm not a young whippersnapper, either. I'm 28. :D
HyruleanCookieZelda

Postby chronomeister on Sat May 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Clearly the solution is to bring down Facebook so there's no other place to complete with. Let me just grab my pitchfork and torch...
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Sat May 11, 2013 9:35 pm

BRING BACK CHAIR SHAKING
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

PreviousNext

Return to Club & Forum Affairs