Preview Night Fall 2013

Are you bored and wondering what SPAMM can do to keep you busy? (or) Do you have an event or get-together that you would like to share with SPAMM.org? Check out the Events forum which contains information on all sorts of SPAMM (and other) events in the Platteville Area.

Moderators: Megaton, Niehaus, Moderators

Preview Night Fall 2013

Postby Bootkiller on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:50 pm

11/20/2013 EDIT: Surveys have been tallied! I'm actually getting this done right away!

I figured it would be simpler to edit this post than to make a new one just detailing the survey results. Each score will be followed by comments if there were any. No matter how relevant.

Scores range from 1 to Inferno Cop, with 1 being terrible and Inferno Cop being the best anime made by humans (will be calculated for the sake of the average as a 10).

If anyone either hasn't turned in a form or otherwise wishes to add/change ratings, please let me know. - Boots

TOP AVERAGE SCORES AS OF 11/20/2013:

8.5 - Kakumeiki Valvrave
7.4 - Samurai Flamenco
7.3 - Kill la Kill
7.2 - Gin no Saji
7.0 - Golden Time
6.7 - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
6.5 - Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru
6.3 - Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

To see all ratings and comments in their full uncensored glory, click the spoiler shown below. Beware.

Spoiler:
Gin no Saji - # of Ratings: 13 - Average: 7.2
8 I would love to see another ep. seems like a nice fit for a slower slot. slice of life style.
7 tamago
6.5 Cute slice of life - but where does it have to go after this - could be a surprise sleeper hit like Kids on the Slope. Could be fun for casual, but I don't see it anywhere else
9 This would be good for the slice of life slot
7 Interesting, very cute!
5 It's something!
8 Needs More Chicken Butts!
9 new concept that has a lot of petinal funny as freik (I'm assuming "potential" and "frick", respectively)
7 slow start but looks good.
(no rating) Very low key and not very engaging. Although it teaches about life science, it is a very niche interest. Not very engaging at all.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru - # of Ratings: 13 - Average: 6.5
6 or 9(calculated as 7.5) really need to see pacing during the next episode for better judgement. If it stays strong then it would make a great comedy relief slot.
8 unique take on romcoms
4 It seems like most of the show is just two people sitting in a room talking to each other - but maybe it gets better? I predict the two exchange witty barbs(?) at each other and eventually fall in love.
6 Very cute!
8 An interesting take on the typical club genre. I'd like to see more.
π(counted as 3.1)
5 Interesting sub with valley girly words - slow and kind of deep mind ideas
8 cute seems interesting mix of character types
(no rating) Very insignificant character development that does not lead to any interesting character, emotional, or plot developments. Feels as if it would become dull fast.

Samurai Flamenco - # of Ratings: 13 - Average: 7.4
7 another comedy slot show. It shows promise of being well liked among everyone
10 gadgets, red axe
7 It could be amusing - I like the comedy and little yaoi-ish inclinations. If he - the model - eventually gets better, it'd be a good cool-down slot. Then again, there seems nothing objectionable that it has
8 Aw, yeah
8 Boots, you did not mention the extremely overt BL subtext. Great show.
10 SHOW THIS!!!
6 For having Flamenco in the title there is a distinct lack of dancing!
7 I don't know yet. Might need more episodes.
(no rating) While a novel idea, it feels like there is not enough material. Not recommended.

Golden Time - # of Ratings: 13 - Average: 7.0
10 I couldn't classify this but I really like this. It has elements of a lot of genres and does it well
8 Toradorable
3 What is this anime trying to be?? The Koko girl - I really don't like the whole crazy thing to her. I think the "crazy girlfriend" thing discriminates against women's legitimate feelings. While the character may actually be crazy, I don't like the perpetuation of the stereotype.
7.5 Cute, interesting! would do good at SPAMM for weirdness + cuteness, set up similar to previous romance-centered shows? <-TORADORA THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING OF
7 It's definitely interesting I wish college was like this.
8 Not as toradorable but still good
6 Cute, but semi slow
10 I. WANT. MORE!!
(no rating) fill ouran host club
(no rating) Something really needs to happen

Kill la Kill - # of Ratings: 12 - Average: 7.3
1 I would rather watch Famiglia Arcana
Inferno Cop
7 it's something
1 Never in a million years
(Erased 8 that won't be counted)
8 Insanity. I like this.
greater than Inferno Cop (blasphemous, but will be counted as 10 anyway)
9 Bit much of fanservice to consider - good for summer spamm
10 It makes me lol and I want more
(no rating) all the yes
(no rating) A little too much overuse of "Rule of Cool." It's no use to be awesome if you can't also be interesting. It rides that line.

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - # of Ratings: 13 - Average: 6.7
10 =D
9 for the ladies Fabu~
5 I don't mind, but it's for the ladies
7 Summer SPAMM fodder ~ it would be good for this
6 While very enjoyable, probably has too many muscles to appeal to SPAMM. Excellent show, however!
4 Pretty meh.
8 Is that a puddle!
6 Double Standards
(no rating) All style, no substance. It has characters, but has trouble developing them.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - # of Ratings: 8 - Average: 6.3
(no rating) it's something?
8 Not sure if too weird for SPAMM
(no rating) I don't know what to think about this.
8 not bad

Kakumeiki Valvrave - # of Ratings: 11 - Average: 8.5
Inferno Cop
10 just be sure to screen the end of episode 10
9 SPACE VAMPIRES
8 Nice mechavamp anime. bot competes with Attack on Titan
11(counted as 10) Show this please
7 Space Vampires!!!
9 I might watch if it was on schedule

For the sake of the number of shows we have to choose from, I limited this preview night to only shows made within the last full year (from fall 2012 to current season).

We are showing 8 shows and an OVA instead of the usual 7 shows and an OVA because the OVA slot is usually about 45-60 minutes, and Saint Onii-san is only 24. Given this, we're basically going to shove another show into that timeslot. Along with this, the genres of the slots are a little out of whack, given the shows chosen. My goal when arranging the schedule order was to try a decent mix between action and non-action shows, with some middling series here and there.

SORRY FOR THE WAIT ON THE DESCRIPTIONS, PICTURES, AND THE ACTUAL SCHEDULE ORDER OF SHOWS
-Boots

Schedule

6:00 -- Social Hour/SPAMM Tournament
7:00 -- Club Meeting/Announcements
7:05 – Gin no Saji
7:30 – Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru
7:55 – Samurai Flamenco
8:20 – Golden Time
8:45 – Break
9:00 – Kill la Kill
9:25 – Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
9:50 – Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
10:15 – Kakumeiki Valvrave
10:40 - Saint Onii-San

Shows:

Spoiler:
7:05 - Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon)

From the writer of Full Metal Alchemist comes a slice-of-life story about a young man from the city who decides to enroll in an agricultural school in order to distance himself from his family. However, anyone who knows can tell you that farming is not easy.

7:30 - Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru (My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected; My Young ROMCOM SNAFU)

This show stars a young man who is anti-social at best, trying to scoot through life with the minimal amount of effort required. This would have continued, were it not for his teacher forcing him into joining the volunteer service club.

7:55 - Samurai Flamenco

The birth of a hero isn't always a strong start. Growing up, Masayoshi Hazama always wanted to become a superhero, despite having no superpowers or the technological gadgets. He eventually became a male model (because the job market doesn't really have much for superheroes), but still fights crime in the name of justice as Samurai Flamenco. He starts small, fighting drunk jaywalkers and people who throw recyclables in the wrong bin, but we'll quickly see his growth into both a true superhero, as well as an internet sensation.

8:20 - Golden Time

From the writer of Toradora comes a romantic comedy about two guys who meet at a prestigious law college, and the moderately crazy girl who has planned to marry one of them.

8:45 - BREAK

9:00 - Kill la Kill

From the creators of Inferno Cop (the greatest anime made by humans) comes a show about a girl named Ryuko who is seeking the truth behind her father's murder. In order to find out, she enrolls in Honnouji Academy and targets the student council president (and basically dictator of the school), believing that she knows who the murderer is. This show will remind many of Gurren Lagann, and has tons of no-holds-barred action.

9:25 - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

Also known as 'This One's for the Ladies', the Anime. Get past the fanservice (if you so choose) and you'll find a pretty well-written story about a group of high-school guys in a swimming club and their various relationships with the water.

9:50 - Sasami-san@Ganbaranai (Sasami-san@Unmotivated)

Imagine The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but with the girl knowing that she has god powers. Because of this, she fears that she might accidentally destroy the world, so she feels she shouldn't do anything. Not everyone agrees, however...

10:15 - Kakumeiki Valvrave (Valvrave the Liberator)

What more do I need to say other then VAMPIRES PILOTING MECHAS?

10:40 - Saint Onii-san (Saint Young Men)

A slice-of-life about Jesus and Buddha living together in an apartment in Japan. I don't know if there's really anything I can add.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Re: Preview Night Fall 2013

Postby chronomeister on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:51 pm

7/10. Decent variety. No shojo (Free! doesn't count). Two romcoms (Golden Time sucks). As much as I like SHAFT (no other new stuff this year :( ) and the ending song, I woulda picked Kyoukai no Kanata over Sasami because plot and glasses. And too much WTF on this with Valvrave, Kill and Sasami.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
its a good day to do what has to be done by me - John Freeman
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:51 pm

but Vulvarape is the best

also I wonder if whoever translated yahari's title actually knows what SNAFU means
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Bootkiller on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Finally edited the post to include pictures, descriptions, etc.

I feel ashamed that I didn't have this done until the night before the meeting.

I'm going to go commit sudoku now.

Zaku wrote:also I wonder if whoever translated yahari's title actually knows what SNAFU means

I have a feeling some translators simply went with ROMCOM SNAFU to significantly reduce the length of the title.

"There can be only one, like in that foreign movie where there could be only one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point." Kenji Setou, Katawa Shoujo
"And then Gordon Freeman came along and beat the bear cub to death with a crowbar. Mission accomplished." -Kanagawa Bancho, OMGWTFOTL
Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby chronomeister on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 am

I still think Sasami is a bad choice. The previous line was "How dare he even look at other girls. He's being unfaithful!" Just sayin'
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Bootkiller on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:42 am

I see your point, though I think it won't be that big of a deal, especially as long as we show it later in the night.

I considered Beyond the Boundary, but I had wanted to show Sasami-san which is now on the edge of my time parameter. Plus then I could have Beyond the Boundary for the preview night in spring, along with Space Dandy.

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby jman on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:42 am

Why no Outbreak Company?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Those who create idiot-proof products severely underestimate the ingenuity of idiots. -Douglas Adams

Steam: jman183
jman
Junior Otaku

Postby Zaku on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:19 am

too meta
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby Bootkiller on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 am

jman wrote:Why no Outbreak Company?

Zaku wrote:too meta

Actually, pretty much. Outbreak Company is certainly an odd show for me, because it's pretty decent, but it's absolutely not what I was expecting going in. Given the premise, I figured it was going to be chock full of the most ridiculous and awesome moe shit I would have seen in a long time. What I actually got was an interesting look at cultural and social differences and the difficulties of trying to introduce a vastly different mindset to another culture.

If Outbreak Company was what I first thought it would be, I would have loved it, but thought it would be terrible for SPAMM, because then it would have had no substance. With how the show is, I would be more likely to consider it, but I still don't know how well it would fare, as it still has a silly premise, and trying to pitch that premise while going 'but really, it's a very intelligent series most of the time' would probably be difficult, especially with enough other shows that would fit a SPAMM schedule better.

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby Bootkiller on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 am

Now that I've finished editing the post to include the scores from the preview night surveys, I kinda feel like killing myself.

Man, dealing with all that unfiltered and un-spellchecked shit in such a short time can be rough.

Bootkiller
SPAMM Librarian

Postby chronomeister on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:20 pm

These ratings do not surprise me. Even the comments.

I also applaud your speed. Having comments for each show I generally didn't do, so good job there.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:16 pm

8.5 - Kakumeiki Valvrave

Awww yeah SPAMM I am pr-

well then
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Postby qPenguin on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 pm

well then

Were you expecting a higher or lower score?
"I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm just playing the character where I don't know what I'm doing until I do it."
qPenguin
SPAMM Librarian Fall 2012 - Spring 2013

Postby chronomeister on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:30 pm

I was expecting to do about the same as Golden Time, 7.0+-0.1 . I expected Kakumeiki Valvrave to score very high.
()~ KIRABOSHI!
chronomeister
Digital Champion

Postby Zaku on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:37 am

qPenguin wrote:
well then

Were you expecting a higher or lower score?

hoping for a higher score. I like that show a lot. Besides, aren't we all 8man?
Zaku
Super Senior Otaku

Next

Return to Events